Chapter 41

Sophia POV

"Well, I don't want to burden you with my simple troubles." He sighs, his thoughts obviously some where else.

He lays down on the bed, laying me on his chest and placing his hand on top of me. An obvious signal that he does not want me to move about. I hide my annoyance and instead snuggle against his hand, knowing full well it would help his current mood.

"Trust me, your troubles wont burden me whatsoever. They may even bring some spice to my repetitive life." The words slip before I realize what I'm saying.

I curse myself inwardly and await his reaction. Thankfully all he does is ruffle my hair before sighing.

"Maybe so but, I would rather not."

"Alright Drake." I sigh.

Even though I only had a day as a giant, I cant help yearning for it again. Being an equal was amazing. I know that at this point, being Drake's pet isn't truly that bad but, it still isn't very good. I hate how little control I have in any situation. He constantly tells me what to do, how to act, and overall how to live my life with him.

"Sophia?"

"Mhm." I mumble, his constant stroking making me drowsy.

"How would you feel if we were to be... to be separated for a time?"

I suddenly sit up, looking at him with curious and confused eyes. Separated? Why? And for how long.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm thinking of sending you away for a month or, until we have the... er until I get something sorted." His hesitation mid sentence is not lost on me. He's hiding something and, if he's truly sending me away for a month, it's a very big something.

"Where." Is the only thing I say, noticing my voice is slightly cold.

"Home." He says quietly.

Wait, home? My heart rate speeds up, a slight fear coursing through me.

"But... but why?"

"I can't tell you that." He sighs, sitting up himself.

He moves me to the pillow.

"Of course you cant ." I fold my arms across my chest and shift my gaze away from his face.

"Sophia, don't be like this." He almost growls the words and I can tell I struck a nerve.

Anger swells inside my chest and I try to force it down. To no avail.

"Dont be like what hm? This is going to majorly effect me and you won't even tell me what's going on!" I shout, clearly exasperated.

"Sophia." He repeats, his voice a warning I do not heed.

"what is it about this that you don't get? I try so hard to do what you ask of me and all I ask is for you to be open with me but, I see that is too much to ask of you."

Suddenly, I'm clenched in his fist. A gasp of surprise escapes my mouth and I struggle against his tight hold.

"Sophia, I am trying to protect you." I gaze into his dark green eyes. Surprised to find them empty of anger. Something sad lies beneath his green pools.

"I don't need protected." I mumble, looking away from his intense gaze.

"sweetheart, you can't even get out of my fist more so avoid a giant getting ahold of you." He squeezes me slightly to prove his point.

Now I get it.

"This has something to do with Ceius and the war doesn't it?"

Drakes face falls slightly, his smile disappearing.