Chapter 32

Drake POV

She cowers as I reach my hand towards her tiny body. I find it almost funny for I have no plans on harming her but, I don't have to tell her that just yet.

"w...wait p...please Drake I... I'm sorry." she begs, holding up her hands more as a mental defense than anything.

Oh no, now she's making me feel guilty. I forgot how easily frightened she is. I sigh and carefully take her in the palm of my hand, cradling her against my chest.

"Hey, shh, its ok, I'm sorry for frightening you, darling." I cooed, trying to get her to calm down. She cries into my chest, taking my shirt in her minuscule fists.

I was planning on punishing her for leaving with Ceius but, now that I have her with me, I see no need. It wasn't as if she had a choice in the matter and, I hadn't made a very good impression on her the last little bit before Ceius had visited either so I cant really blame her.

"Shh, its alright Sophia, I'm not going to punish or hurt you."

"r...really." she sniffles softly, her voice muffled by my shirt fabric.

"Really." I promise, carefully pulling her away from me and setting her on the bed. "Now, it's late so I better get you to bed. Don't you think that's a good idea?" She nods and wipes away her tears. "Ok good, now stay here while I go get your nightgown."

"ok." she says meekly.

I quickly slip into my closet and grab one of her pale white nightgowns and bring it back to her. I turn my gaze away as she changes so that she doesn't feel too uncomfortable. When she finishes changing, I set her on one of the pillows and change myself before settling myself into bed.

"D...Drake?"

"Mhm?" I question absentmindedly as I make myself comfortable.

"Why."

What? I turn my attention to her and take in her troubled brown eyes.

"Why what?"

"Why are you being so kind to me after I betrayed you?" she asks softly, clearly worried.

Oh, how much I must scare her. Regret fills me as I remember the cruel things I did to her. No wonder she's terrified out of her wits. Just having her here changes and rids myself of the anger I had been feeling towards her during her absence.

"Oh Sophia, I've missed you so much that I can't be cruel and I'm sorry for acting as I did before." I sooth, gently running my fingertip over her soft hair. "It's time to sleep now Darling. We can talk more in the morning."

"Promise?"

"Promise." I say as pull the covers up over the both of us. "Goodnight Sophia."

"Goodnight Drake."

I feel guilty as I get ready for the emergency meeting. Sophia is still asleep on the pillow and I know that I promised that we would talk but, this is something I just can't cancel. I just hope that she won't be terrified out of her wits when she wakes up to find me gone. I groan at the idea as I pull on my suit jacket and straighten my vest. One last look at her sleeping form and I'm off.

I stride down the hallway, my coat tails furled out behind me. The sooner I get there, the sooner the meeting will be over. The sooner the meeting is over, the sooner I'll get back to Sophia and the less time she'll be alone. I quickly approach my fathers bedroom doors and signal the two guards to allow me entrance.

"Alright father, I don't have much time so if we could make this quick... Father?"

My hurried tone quickly changes as I view my father, pale and coughing in bed. I approach his side slowly.