Survival 1 | Introduction

LIVING IN THIS GENERATION is a f*cking survival.

I halted from walking when two kids playing passed in front of me. Wide smile and innocent eyes, surely, these are people I would want to protect.

Those who are oblivious to the outside world, because far beyond these dull, huge walls, are flesh-eating monsters who wouldn't think twice of devouring people their eyes would catch. Not that they have a capability to think though.

And these children are the weakest prey for they don't know anything to protect themselves.

The reason why I nominated to become part of this exploration, to expand our land that the remaining humans are doing everything to return what we lost due to the virus that wiped the population among the world. And these children are the products of humanity's hard work of bringing back the world.

Artificial wombs to create hundreds of children. Truthfully, technologies are fascinating, at the same time, terrifying.

I sighed heavily and decided to proceed. Hurried steps from people finding their group are what occupies this place. My eyes roamed in this hectic, spacious place yet since these people wearing a military uniform occupies the place, it somehow looks narrow.

“Harper!”

Someone shouted my name and being infamous for something that my family didn't create, sharp eyes full of malicious judgment followed by sneers from people close at my place before they quickly moved their feet and put distance with me as if I have some contagious disease.

Rumors are akin to rotten tomatoes. Place them on fresh tomatoes and before you know it, those once fresh would become spoils too.

Humarap ako sa tumawag sa akin at nakita si Faye, ang isang paa ay sumusuporta sa kanyang bigat habang ang isa ay nakaluhod sa monoblock chair, patuloy ang pagkaway na parang tanga. Nakapaligid sa kanya ang aking mga kasama na mga nagsisipaglaro at tawanan nang tawanan, malayong-malayo sa tensyonadong nakapaligid sa amin.

These people are the ones who brought light to my darkness, who helped me fight and strive harder to reach the place where I am today.

Their commander.

I shook my head and headed to their place. Faye's light brown hair comes dancing through the wind after Phoenix playfully removed her ponytail. Mabilis syang humarap sa lalaki at sinapak iyon na ikinailing ko ng ulo. She's Faye and yet. . .

I walk towards our team who's already waiting for me. Eyes shouting in excitement even though nervousness could be seen, which are the twin feelings every time we're facing something new. My companions are well-prepared, yet we shouldn't be complacent because we don't control things.

I stop where they are, who are sitting in a monoblock chair, waiting for our group to be called. Jacob quickly stood up when he saw me, and motioned the chair beside him. I shook my head.

“It's fine.” But his resolve is stronger than mine.

“Women shouldn't be left standing. I'll look for my chair instead,” he said and ran somewhere. I shook my head yet a smile slowly plastered on my lips.

I choose this group because they're the best among the rest.

Some people are walking back and forth due to nervousness, the majority are panicking, but a few remained calm and sane, and my group is part of them.

Do not panic, because panicking might lead to something worst, which is our number one rule.

I stopped beside the chair and looked at them. Being alerted, their gaze found me once they realized that I have something to do.