Chapter 39 | Attic

Natigilan ito nang marinig ang aking sinabi, ngunit bumuntong hininga rin na aking narinig, at sa gilid ng aking mata ay nakita ko itong tumingala rin.

I thought she wouldn't answer what I was asking, but I was completely wrong when I heard her explained what it is.

“The Blood Harvest is where the horde of zombies are coming into a certain place because of something unexpected that attracted their attention. And when I say hordes. . .” She stopped and sighed heavily, yet I already know what she was pertaining to.

Biglang pumasok sa aking utak ang nakita ko kanina. Tumingin ako sa aking paa na nakabagsak sa kawalan at marahan kong ginagalaw ngayon.

The horde of zombies… they looked as if hungry people who haven't eaten for months that being exposed to a slice of tiny meat they are all ready to kill for it.

They aren't just running towards our place at a fast speed, but are sprinting almost as a human could do, and that's what made me nervous earlier.

We were given the knowledge that zombies only walk and that even their movements are slower than how a human naturally move.

Pero sa pangyayaring iyon, kung saan napakabibilis ng takbo ng mga ito ay hindi ko maiwasang matakot sa tuwing naaalala iyon.

We saw it before, right after we come out from those walls where we faced those kinds of zombies that are. . . fast, but we forgot it since we became well-focused on those big monsters. . . the abnormal ones.

We were focused on those abnormal big zombies when we know that those small ones are the most dangerous because of their numbers.

That's why I couldn't fully blame Dreyard for thinking of a plan like that, which requires a large number of sacrifices— my people's lives, so the majority of us could escape.

Hindi rin sa pumapanig ako sa kanyang desisyon. It's still wrong to sacrifice lives so others could escape. I'm still against it.

But every time that I think of it. . . if I were in their place, I would sacrifice my life too so that they could escape.

However, due to uncertainty, many people lost their lives. After all, those zombies that were coming in our way weren't our only nemesis at that time, but also those who are hidden in those tall grasses in the first place that we put aside, thinking that they are harmless.

At dahil sa kapabayaang iyon ay maraming buhay ang nawala sa amin.

But. . . just by thinking about those zombies. . .

Sa bilang at sa abilidad na bilis na nagawa nila sa pangyayaring iyon ay nakakatakot na, paano pa kung. . .

I shook my head. I shouldn't be thinking like this.

“It's because those zombies are being attracted to the light that the factory is reflecting. The sun was still rising that time and those reflections are what caught their attention,” Meredith explained which made me look at her and found her with such a serious gaze.

“Remember, anything that caught their attention, they will do everything to go in that place. They're like us, humans, who are curious about things. And I know that you're also aware that those beasts we once thought were mindless could think.”

I nodded my head.

If they couldn't, they wouldn't run at that kind of speed.

Running isn't only an ability that we were born with but requires logic to be fully executed.

And based on how they've become fast every second that passed by, it means that they're using their mind— they're ordering their feet to move faster so they could catch us before we flee.