Chapter 4 ~ Sharks and Them

Xavier ended up taking me to a Chinese restaurant that was not far from my house. I ordered a combo with chow mien, steamed rice, orange chicken, and mushroom chicken. Xavier offered to pay but I told him that if he pays, I'm paying for the drinks. And so I did. I never knew that Xavier liked mushroom chicken. Not everyone I know likes mushroom.

It was odd eating with him I must admit. We both ate quietly, trying not to catch each other's eyes. I wondered what he could have been thinking about. It was just this morning since we actually noticed each other and here we were now, sitting in front of each other, eating our meals as if nothing happened. I wanted something to happen, so I could just go home.

"So..." He said at last. I took a sip from my Thai iced tea before answering him.

"I think my brother would have an heart attack if he'd saw me with you right now." Xavier laughed. I smiled a bit, it would be a funny thing to see. 

"Seriously? You're pretty cool. I'm just mad at myself I hadn't talked to you sooner."

"I'm the lame one of the family. I'm not that cool. I still like watching the Sonic on Saturday mornings." 

"Me too. I started to watch Pokemon." I stared at Xavier.

"What? You watch Pokemon?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. 'One of the hottest guys in school watches kiddie shows' is what you're thinking." I was stunned how he considered himself hot. He's not that hot... Well maybe a little...

"No I mean... That's pretty cool."

"You think it's cool?"

"Well, yeah. It's not like you see someone everyday who has something in common with you." Xavier looked out the window for a moment.

"Do you like National Geographic?" He asked.

"Of course! I spend my vacation watching that." I said with my mouth full. Xavier laughed. He grabbed a piece of napkin and wiped my mouth for me. I swallowed hard, blushing.

"You get excited easily."

"I can clean myself!" I grabbed the napkin from his hands and wiped my face again. Seriously, what's up with those moves? If that’s what I was thinking.

After we had left the Chinese restaurant, Xavier offered to walk me home and I didn't mind. We continued to talk about nonsense, and before I knew it, we were already in front of my house. There were many sounds coming from inside, I knew my brother's friends were over, or probably the whole varsity. I took out my keys and opened the door slowly.

There they were all gathered around our big sixty inch plasma watching a game. My brother was on the couch, chugging down root beer. Bags of chips and cans soda was everywhere. The only thing I hated when it was game night for my brother and his monkey friends was that I always had to clean up the mess.

"No!" They yelled.

"That was not fair!"

"He stepped on the line! What the fuck?!"

"Yo, Xavier! You missed the game!" Josh yelled as he jumped over a body. I hoped that he tripped at one point. 

"Only half!" Ray yelled. I was about to head up the stairs since no one noticed me until Bob, number 14 on Varsity called me out. He was was known for being a big mouth. 

"Hey Erix. What is your lil' sis doing with X?" I turned around alarmed. My brother's eyes hardened at my sight even though he was like in the other room.

"What are you doing?" Erix got up and walked towards me.

"Heading to my room."

"No, what are you doing with him?" His tone was stern and clear. I knew that he didn't like what he saw. Xavier was standing next to me, while I  apparently play the dumb one.