Chapter 19

"Shit!" Inuyasha swore as he jumped from Bakusen'Os branches. "I told the bastard I'd be back before dark." Evidently he'd been more tired than he'd thought, because looking at the fading light within the already dimly lit forest let the Hanyou know he'd be pushing that promise.

Feeling a light brush of leaves against his back, Inuyasha turned to see the smiling face of Bakusen'O staring back at him. "I hope I have been able to help the son of my dear friend, Inu no Taisho."

Taking a moment, the Hanyou stepped forward, awkwardly patting the trunk of the tree. "Yeah, I'd say that's a fair statement. Thanks for listenin'."

"Anytime you are in need, you have but to find your way here and I will be more than happy to do so."

With an odd sense of contentment, Inuyasha realized the demon tree was kinda like the dad he'd never had. Or, maybe the brother he'd always wanted but never got. "Hey, Bakusen'O – "

"Yes, young InuHanyou."

"Uh, thanks . . . you know, for savin' me all those years ago. No matter what happens between Sesshomaru and me, I just wanted to say that."

"I am only pleased that I was able to help my friends' son's."

"Yeah, well, not many woulda done somethin' like that, especially for a half-breed like me."

"Then they are the fools, Inuyasha, for there are none worthier than you."

Blushing to the tips of his puppy-dog ears, Inuyasha gave an awkward bow before turning and taking off down the path leading back to the car. Breaking through the brush, the Hanyou shouted, "Start up the car, we gotta get back – like yesterday!"

Having fallen asleep himself, Sang-di jumped off the hood he'd been lounging on and scurried to the passenger side door of the backseat. "God's above, I don't need ya to open the damn door, just get in and start drivin'."

Berating himself, Sang-di knew what he'd done was simply instinct, something so ingrained in his job expectation that he'd simply been going on automatic when the Hanyou began shouting. With a quick, "Sorry, my Lord," the chauffeur did exactly as he was told and as soon as he heard Inuyasha's door shut, they were headed back along the rough road leading towards the highway and the heart of Tokyo.

"Fuckin' hell, I totally lost track of time. I promised Sesshomaru I'd be back before dark."

Leaning down, Sang-di looked out the window at the setting sun. With a smirk upon his face, the driver pressed down on the gas pedal, throwing an unsuspecting Hanyou into the back seat. With grace and precision, Sang-di evaded both the local authority and other vehicles, timing stop lights and intersections perfectly.

"Damn! No wonder the jackass has kept you around so long."

Beaming with pride, Sang-di rarely if ever got the opportunity to illustrate his skills. "Thank you, my Lord. I dare say we should make it back to Taisho Tower with time to spare." And, just like he'd said, as the sun was just settling over the horizon, the sleek black car pulled into the underground parking garage. Once through the security gate, Sang-di pulled into Lord Sesshomaru's private area only for his headlights to hit upon the very being himself.

Staying where he was, Inuyasha took a few minutes to simply compose himself. Looking out the car door window, he had a perfect view of his stunning brother. Now that he knew what Sesshomaru wanted and even more importantly, that he was willing to try it, Inuyasha felt a fresh new sense of awe. Sesshomaru really was the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen. Standing amongst the unforgiving backdrop of silver and gray, the DaiYoukai looked as regal as ever. With a painful swallow, Inuyasha felt a deep sense of inadequacy, but remembering Bakusen'Os words, he took a deep breath and opened the door to the car.