Hour Nine

"Maybe they wouldn't drown. Maybe they'd hitch a ride on a lifeboat and wash up on shore..."

Hour Nine

Hour Nine

Water drops splashed on the window, darkness descended over the sky. Bolts of light painted the dark, starless abyss.

The wind wailed and cried, showing its mighty force, beating on the window.

Logan scrunched up closer to the back of the seat unable to get to sleep amid the clanging and banging. He looked over at his companion--in a daze and hunched over, calmly resting. 

She looked peaceful as if she couldn't do any damage at all but Logan knew better. She had emotionally bruised and battered him when she had ignored him.

 Her silence cracking him open like heavy footsteps on a thawing pond.

And like both, sooner or later they would drown.

Logan peered to his right as a sound caught his attention. It wasn't the woman that was snoring but her baby who was not. It was laughing and giggling, stirring up quite a show. However, the only people around to listen were Logan and itself.

"Hey, little guy. What are you doing up?" he leaned a bit closer as the little one was beginning to grow rambunctious. Its grubby hands extended towards the 16 year old boy.

The tot hopped up again and again eager to be held. He crawled up against its mother, nuzzling its head into her shirt. The woman was all tuckered out.

Her head was upwards, not caring if a fly flew down her throat, the bottle of milk in her hand was overturned, dripping and staining the carpet and her hair was sticking up in all directions.

The baby grew restless and decided to explore for itself. One problem: it didn't know how. And the other problem: it was anxious to find out.

Releasing his only grip that was his mother's shirt, his stubby legs dangled  and his head drooped backwards.

His whole body soon followed suit and Logan sprang to his feet. He had to act fast.

By the time the mother shot open her eyes, her baby's cry was all that anybody could hear. Her heart beat ferociously, beads of sweat trickled down from her forehead and her arms didn't know what to do seeing as her baby wasn't in them.

Her head swung side to side, stomach nauseous with guilt until her eyes settled on the scene in the aisle.

Oceanic blue eyes came face to face with her own and only then she noticed the boy that was holding the keeper of those fascinating eyes. He cradled it like it was the most precious thing in the world.

The woman approached him slowly gaining Logan's attention who at that moment lifted his gaze, softening at the sight of her. He eased the smiling baby, who was caught without a scratch, into her arms.