Preview

Hey guys! Below is a snippet of a new book that I am working on. Some of you may have read it, either way tell me what you think.

It's called Don't Forget to Remember Me.

Prologue

"You said you'd never leave me..."

~~~~~

Her combat boots sloshed against the sopping concrete floor as she turned the corner.

Bullets ricocheted off of the wooden crates that rested on the dock. A fog horn whistled and she knew she didn't have much time. Stalon had to nab this suspect before it was too late.

She ducked behind one of the crates scraping her fingers in the process. Stalon hissed, curling them inside her jacket.
"Where's Phoenix?"

As the bullets neared her head, she quickly loaded her weapon and had it drawn.

A gunshot was heard and Stalon instantly winced sensing the sheer proximity. She was getting pelted and her partner was nowhere to be found. Just her luck.

Footsteps crept closer and she prepared herself for the worst.

"Miss me darling?" A smug voice said and Stalon was instantly pulled to her feet.

"Phoenix! Where have you been?"

"Explanations don't really matter when your covers been blown, now do they darling?" He scoped out the situation.

"Not really."

"Now that we've got that settled," he huffed, "let's go take back what's ours, shall we?" he reloaded his gun.

Stalon's eyes grew as large as saucers and he took in her stricken face.

"What is it? Stalon talk to me," he shook her wrist that was down at her side. "You know I hate it when you do that."

The once unperturbed agent was at a loss for words. Stuttering, she managed to croak out a warning.
"Get down now!"

A ringing sound assaulted her eardrum as she glanced at the devastation around her. Splinters of wood were strewn all across the harbour. Some even floated in the water. Dust caught in the back of her throat, while she rubbed her eyes. A fiery sight stood before Stalon as the vessel's flame burned intensely bringing a scorching amount of heat with it. Shaking, she called out her partner's name. "Phoenix!"

She threw her arms down. "Phoenix!"

Where was he?

"Where are you?" Stalon frustratedly pulled at her hair-- a habit she did when she was nervous. Panic washed over her and nausea bubbled and swirled inside her stomach. "Phoenix!"

Straining and lifting up pieces of rubble, tears threatened to drown her. Stalon--a spy not easily moved by anything was a sobbing mess as she scoured the entire area.

A voice broke her out of her miserable state.

"Stalon. We have to go," an agent in her team beckoned, inching closer. She slung her rifle over her shoulder and pity filled her eyes. "We have to..." she stifled her crying as her voice cracked. "We have to go."

"I'm not leaving without him. "

"I know but--"

Stalon turned to look at her, digust in her muddy brown eyes and rage boiling in her veins, appalled that Katheryn would even think about doing something so dishonourable.

"I'm not leaving without him. He said he would never leave me, Katheryn. I-I can't leave him." Stalon pleaded with her.

When she realized Stalon wasn't going to budge, Katheryn gave a firm nod and told her she'd meet her back by the truck.

"Be safe Stalon." She pressed heavily on Stalon's shoulder before heading off to secure the perimeter.

"Phoenix!"
Stalon's voice was hoarse as she choked out dust. "Where's your British humour when I need it? Phoenix this isn't funny. Phoenix... " she brought her hand to her head.

Her world was crumbling all around her. It was supposed to be an easy mission--get the suspect and get out unscathed. This was supposed to be a cakewalk. Both agents could do it in their sleep, and they'd actually had to once before. But none of them
were prepared to be ambushed. It was a slap to the face, a rookie mistake that shouldn't have happened to two veterans.

Her eyes burned as the tears began to freefall. All she could taste was burnt wood and thick smoke that danced on her tongue but stabbed at her throat.

"You said you'd never leave me."

An hour of yelling proved useless as Phoenix was nowhere in sight.
It was almost as if he vanished.

Digging at the ground with her boots, she picked up an item she'd seen countless times before, except this time it had no owner.

Her heart shredded into millions of pieces as she clutched the leather watch to her beating chest. Hollowness accompanied with numbing agony and the now ominous grey sky added to the somber mood.

That was the day a part of Stalon died.

This story is different than what I've written before.

What do you guys think?