Hour Fourteen

"Give me a reason to stay and I will."

Hour Fourteen

Hour Fourteen

Her fingers trembled when she went to stabilize his head. She had imagined touching his sweet face but never like this.

She never wanted it like this.

"Logan stay with me, okay? Promise me that," her tears fell onto his rosy cheeks.

The cheeks that had blushed ever so much when she asked him about the special girl.

The cheeks that had puffed like a chipmunk's when he stuffed his face, trying to make her laugh.

The cheeks that could no longer expel air into the atmosphere.

"You're my friend. You have to be okay," her thumb skidded over his nose, his earlobes and on the stray hairs that clung to his forehead. "Or else I won't be."

Searching through the hushed crowd, she spotted him.

"Jack. I can't do this. It hurts too much," tears distorted her view of him, but she could make out that his head was down with a blue hat over his upper torso.

"He needs you."
Soon he was an ear away. "Trust me," Jack rubbed her shoulders, "he needs you."

She scanned Logan's body from his white t-shirt to his jeans, to his unwavering arms, wishing he would twitch, shake, give her any indication that he was alive.

Oh how she wished she was in them being rocked to sleep, counting the billions of stars, a previous activity they shared.

Pointing, they'd stargaze. Showing each other stars that reminded them of home, their families, their travels.

"I named a star after you," Crouching low she fixed her skirt, cupping a hand over his ear faintly whispering.

"I saw it when you fell asleep. I had stayed up, after you had long drifted off. I didn't want to wake you, you were so content and I would never understand how you could snooze at the drop of a hat." she stroked his face.

"I guess it doesn't matter now. It was selfish of me to keep it from you but it was something I wouldn't have to share. Sharing. I know you'll never understand why I have such a distaste for the word but the truth is:  I've never had anything of my own. You were mine."

The sweater that was on his seat, was scrunched up, quickly pressed against her face. His scent lingered on the garment, comforting her in ways only he could.

I've never meant anything to anybody, only to you.

"I need you here."

~~~~~

She couldn't fathom something like this. He was hers, a sanctuary where she was his alone.

No Piper, no overbearing mother, not even her supportive father to rip her away from him.

Yet, he was gone.

Gone of his own right, without a second thought of her.

She shook her head, she wasn't going to believe that-- she wasn't so naive.

"Avianna, I want to share something with you. I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time and I--and I-I um..."

She bit back the urge to scream, as memories barged through her brain. His tone was so determined that she was on the edge of her seat, and she couldn't mistake the passion that reverberated through him. The way he looked at her, boring into her windows of the world, capturing her heart, capturing her mind, capturing her lungs, so she couldn't speak.

And she didn't want to. Her ears, her flushing brown ears welcomed his calming sounds, eager for what he was to say.

But it never came.

In fact, it was stolen.

Looking down, her stress level increased, when she placed her fingers on his overturned wrist. The levels fluctated like the stock market, when she learned of the outcome.

There wasn't enough strength in the world to cry, she was parched both emotionally and physically, leaning in to him.

"Please tell me I meant something. Tell me that I was worth this--all of this pain," she pressed heavily onto his chest, the one that she had cried into when she had a bad dream, the one that she had leaned on spewing her life stories, the one that beat in time with her own.

One would ask, why would she be crying when she felt a faint pulse? The realization that she was losing him was all it took to rob her of control,  her courage. She fought the urge to collapse, her head on fire, dizziness a rising temperature away.

"Just breathe," he reminded her, sliding his hands up and down her back.

"You just had a bad dream."

Another flashback hit her like a truck filled with bricks, weakening the crumbling fortress she had built up.

In that very earth shattering climax, she understood why she cared so much. She loved with him. Maybe it was just young love, but there was no denying that something was there. Yes, she was falling hard and falling fast and she only hoped that he would wake up to catch her.

"Why am I not good enough Logan? Why am I not good enough to make you stay?" she pushed down harder.

She was going to lose him.

She scrunched her chest with her right hand, when a numbing and stunning feeling crawled over her. Never before had she experienced such raw, flesh burning pain piercing her heart.

Here he lay before her, motionless and dare she say it peaceful.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

There was to be no distractions, no companions on this flight, however he was all of that and more wrapped in one.

He dragged Avianna to the brink of insanity, but revived her to the point where she would be laughing at his antics which would in turn incite his own chuckling.

Be that as it may, it was now her duty to revive him.

"I wish I could be more for you," she added another compression. "I wish I could've been the one you wanted--but we both know that I'm not. I wish that I was enough for you but I won't ever be."

Failing, she brought her lips down.