Hour Nineteen

"When I said let's do something fun, this was not what I meant."

Hour Nineteen

Hour Nineteen

The sky was a cloudy haze, yet birds were plentiful and they made quite a show. Chirping and wing fluttering, landing on top of roofs and slim branches of trees planted in the middle of sidewalks, flying in beautiful formation was just the tip of the iceberg.

There was absolutely nothing better than smelling the earth after a hearty rainstorm.

The smell of outside was pure, rejuvenating. It filled Avianna with hope, like a blooming orchid on a spring morning.

The scent was akin to filling your lungs with fresh air after running through a wide open field, out of breath. It was the view of an apple orchard on an autumn afternoon, it was finding out that your favourite store had a sale, it was finding money in clothes you hadn't worn in ages.

It was...

Nature.

Even the wind felt softer, shedding its harsh fury as the water cascading from the clouds ceased.

The wind slid in between her ankles and her lower legs, causing her to shiver. Not from the cold but how calming and smooth it felt against her skin.

She stayed outside absorbing every moment. No spa, no whale sounds, no meditation could compare to the tranquility surrounding her.

Birds taking flight from every direction, people waving, couples sneaking unsuspecting kisses from one another, the sounds of bicycle bells filling the air was enough to lower her body to the ground, allowing her to sit on the library's concrete steps taking it all in.

For the second time on her trip she let her mind be free. It ran through rolling hills of non-commitment, tasted the sweet juice of non-responsibility, and danced to the music of individuality.

Only few truly experienced this.

Why couldn't she stay like this forever?

To leave, was bittersweet and in that moment the realization that Jack wouldn't be beside her surfaced in her throat.

She didn't cry though, that would be too easy.

Upon turning her back to head inside, she noticed the ground beneath her feet becoming lighter, sort of like a golden hue blanketing the atmosphere. Finding the source she was greeted with warm, summery kisses while the sun beamed brightly, transforming the grey overcast to shades of blue and white.

At last she stepped over the metal transition of the doorway to find Logan and Jack walking around aimlessly and she couldn't blame them.

Watching the world through a
white-paned sash window, was an easy feat and a better past-time than what lay in the room before her. Gone were the fantasy books, having been replaced by brochures and "mature" things.