Hour Twenty Seven

"Grab me a bag of chips!"

Hour Twenty Seven

"Maybe I shouldn't go."

The urge to drink coffee was wearing off and the heat skyrocketed to unbearable. Avianna's skin stuck to the leather seats which felt like lava. Halfway through the ride, her sweater became the barrier between the two.

"What?" Piper slammed on the brakes. "You have been bothering me since we got in the car. We are going now."

"I know. But with the traffic there's no point. Plus I'm boiling in here!"

"So am I, but we can't turn back. We're bumper to bumper, Av."

Avianna sunk down but rapidly shot up feeling a jolt of heat on her shoulder blade. "I'll get something cold then, preferably an ice pack."

~~~~~

"It's a good thing you took the back roads," Logan rolled down the  windows.

"Only fools and tourists take the highway. It's littered with cars this time of year. If we did, we wouldn't reach until sundown."

"Thanks for driving me."

"No problem, as long as you're buying the drinks. I like my coffee with soybean vanilla and whip cream."

"That was not agreed upon."

"Until now," Morgan beamed.

~~~~~

"It's not that bad," Piper honked as a driver in another lane tried to merge in front of her. "Move it!"

Traffic crawled to a halt and Piper mindlessly rested her head on the steering wheel. A tap from her sister and a green light five minutes later, prompted her to step on the gas.

A continuous honk and a swerve left, they nearly missed a car.

"Next time I'm driving," Avianna ordered, while she clutched onto the handle on the inside of the car. "You've done enough damage for one day."

"I'll let you drive when you have your license. Until then, buckle up."

Avianna wiped the sweat from her arms and her head. Even the coily strands of her hair felt oily, which was alarming because normally they were dry.

"Fine just don't do anything crazy. I need to make it there and back in time."

At last the pair made it off of the highway.  The sun hadn't faltered for the hour they'd been held hostage by numerous vehicles.

"I can finally breathe! Coffee here we come!"

"Well actually," Piper drawled, wincing a bit. "We have to make a quick stop."