eight

Y/N POV

I should've known that the good days wouldn't last forever. A week after my birthday my mom's health just went downhill. Her memory isn't as sharp as it used to be and all she does is lay in bed all day. It's gotten so bad we have a nurse that stays with her during the night too. I'm trying to be strong and hold it together but I don't know how much longer I can do this.

Everyday I watch her fall apart and I hate it because there's nothing I can do about it.

Dinah's been there for me every step of the way and I'm really grateful for that. She's even become a big sister to Skylar which is a good thing because our sister is still incarcerated. With everything going on I still haven't asked her to be my girlfriend. I really care about Dinah and I damn sure don't want to lose her so I better act fast before someone else gets to her.

Another shitty day on this shitty ass school of mine. I'm in my last class, chemistry and I am trying so hard to stay awake right now. I'm sitting next to Dinah and I can't stop staring at her. Our teacher is going on about balancing equations and I have no clue what I'm doing. While the teacher was doing an example on the board the principal walked in. Every time the principal comes into one of my classes I get scared because I think she's coming to tell that my mom is gone.

Principal Greenleaf asked the guy behind me to pack his things and go with her. I let out a sigh of relief because she wasn't here for me.

As class came to end I quickly packed my things so that I could go get Skylar. After I got Skylar, we headed straight home. Dinah came with us because I needed help with my calculus homework. When we got home I fixed Skylar a snack and went into my mom's room to check on her.

"Mama, it's me, Junior." I said.

She looked at me and waved, "H-How was school?" She asked.

"It was alright. Skylar and I both had a good day." I said.

Skylar came into the room and sat down on the bed next to mom. "Hi mommy. I drew you a picture." Sky said.

It was a picture of mom and Skylar standing outside on a beautiful sunny day.

"It's pretty sweetheart." Mom said.

"Mommy can I take a nap in here with you?" Skylar asked.

"Mmhm. Just don't wiggle too much." Mom said.

"I'll be downstairs doing my homework with Dinah. Just holler if you need me." I said.

"Mmhm tell Dinah to come see me before she goes home." Mom said.

"Yes ma'am." I said.

I gave my mom a kiss on the forehead and went back downstairs to the living room. "How is she?" Dinah asked.

"Good, she wants to see you before you go." I said.

"I will definitely do that but you and I need to get started on the calculus." Dinah said.

"Yes ma'am boss lady." I said.

Whoever came up with math needs to get a poly beatdown. I'm cool with math when it comes to money but once you start adding negatives and the alphabet into it that's where my problem kicks in. But I'm lucky to have a beautiful intelligent girlfriend that's willing to help me. Honestly I understand the material better when Dinah explains to me better than when my teacher is explaining it in class.

After we did our calculus homework I helped Dinah with her creative writing assignment. We have the class but Dinah was having a little trouble getting the creative juices flowing for her assignment.