Chapter Twenty One

~Third person POV~

Jack didn't sleep at all that night.

He had layed Mark in the bed so he could sleep peacefully. Jack then layed next to him, but he couldn't sleep. He just stared at the clock and watched the minutes go by. Once the clock hit twelve, he sat up. He noticed that he wasn't as tired as he thought he would be. Maybe he actually dozed off a few times without him noticing?

Jack sighed, looked beside him and saw that Mark was still asleep. Suddenly, sadness washed over him. This would be the last time he'd ever see that beautiful face. Jack sighed once more before he kissed Mark on his forehead and got off the bed.

He paced around the cell for a few moments before he got the gun from under the couch. He looked at it for a little while. He then let his hand with the gun fall next to his body. Jack didn't know what to do anymore while he waited.He checked the clock again and saw that he had to wait twenty more minutes. Time flew by, even if he had nothing to do.

He turned towards the door to go and look out of the little window when something cought him off guard. "Where do you think you're going?" He heard.

Jack jumped at the sound of a voice and quickly turned around while aiming the gun in front of him. His eyes widened in shock when he saw Mark standing there, awake, safe and sound. "Y-you're supposed to be-" Jack started, but Mark cut in. "Knocked out? Yeah, I know." He said with a blank expression.

"How are you awake?" Jack asked while still pointing the gun at Mark. "I knew what you were going to do. Remember when I went to see Cry and Felix? I figured out that they were in your group." Mark started his story. "Why didn't you say anything?" Jack asked confused. "Because you wouldn't trust me anymore. You'd want to be as far away from me as possible while I'd need to gather as much information as possible. Ofcourse I didn't say anything, I needed the information and I'm not stupid.

Anyway, I figured that Ken would be in your group too. But I didn't have any proof to back that up, until a few days ago. When Matthew asked me to go look at your cell, I knew that he had to talk to you. And I quickly found the reason why. Ken had been in here to hide the note and the gun. I found them and quickly realised that you'd be escaping. I then realised that Matthew had talked to Ken about the escape and that he needed to talk to you because you'd be doing all the dirty work.

This explains why Matthew and Nate didn't say goodbye to you in the cafeteria. For me, everything added up." Mark finished with the same blank expression. Jack was shocked to say the least and started to lower his gun.

"You knew everything the whole time? How can that be? We did our best to hide everything from you." He said confused. "Not good enough, apparently." Mark stated, his expression not changing. His cold eyes were staring into Jack's, making the younger male quite uncomfortable.

"How did you fake being knocked out?" Jack asked, slowly glancing at the clock. He needed to keep the conversation going for just five more minutes. "I just threw the poisoned food down the toilet and remembered to get sleepy around 5 PM." Mark said, a little pride showing in his voice, knowing that he had beaten a criminal in his own game.

Jack took a deep breath and started talking while straightening his posture. "Well, good job for figuring everything out, officer Fischbach. But this won't stop me from escaping." He said with a small smirk, making a little bit of worry appear on Mark's face.

At that moment, they both heard a quiet knock on the door. Their heads snapped in the direction of the sound while realising what this meant. "Don't you dare." Mark mumbled while crossing gazes with Jack. But Jack had a plan that needed to be performed.