Chapter 20

Chapter 20
• • •

        Lunch was pretty uneventful. I just sat there, looking down at my lunch, overwhelmed with the newly understood information about my feelings for Ashton.

Biology was also anticlimactic. The whole time, the two of us didn't say a word to each other. The only reminder that he was next to me was the subtle sent of his cologne.

When the bell rang, I took my time going to my locker. By the time that I got there, mostly everybody had already gone. The hallway that my locker was in was completely empty.

When I opened my locker I gasped and backed away immediately. I covered my mouth with my hand and slowly inched back to it. Someone had gotten into my locker and destroyed my laptop.

I felt a few tears trickle down my face as I pulled the demolished computer out of my locker. I slid down the side of the lockers and tried to open it. It opened slightly, but the inside was even more damaged than the outside.

I wiped my face and tried with all my might not to cry by taking deep breaths. That laptop had held the only memories that I had left of my family. All of the pictures got destroyed of us together, but I had managed to scan some onto my computer before they were all demolished.

My life before everything happened was entirely on this computer, and now it was all gone. It was like my life didn't even exist before it all.

I had sat up against the lockers for about five more minutes, staring off into space with my mind in a tsunami of thoughts, when I felt someone sit down next to me. I knew that it was a guy. I looked up, expecting to see Eli or Kevin.

It was Ashton.

I quickly wiped the accidental single tear off of my cheek and looked back down at my computer. Wow... He must think that I really like technology or something.

"Something tells me that you're not just crying over the loss of your laptop." He said and looked me dead in the eye.

"Why would you think that?" I asked, trying to make the situation look as unsuspicious as possible.

"You don't seem like the kind of girl to cry over something as materialistic as a laptop." He replied and looked down at it. Damn Ashton and his impeccable observation skills...

I hesitated, but replied, "There were just some things on here that I can't get back, that's all." I shook it off.

"Who did it?" He asked.

"I don't know," I told him.

"People are such assholes," he commented and I sighed.

"Well, sitting here and sulking isn't going to do anything," he said and got up, sticking his hand out for me to take. I took it, and felt the warm tingle throughout my body as I got up.

"What else is there to do?" I asked and got the rest of my stuff out of my locker. He looked like he was debating options in his head.

"Well there is one thing that always makes me feel better," he said and smirked.

"Tequila?" I asked jokingly as I shut my locker.

"No,"

"Then, what??"

"Ice cream... duh," he said and started to walk off, I went with him.

"Well I don't have any ice cream right now, but when I do I'll let you know," I said as we stepped outside, into the fresh air. I started to walk to my car when I felt a hand around my wrist, pulling me in the opposite direction.