Chapter 41

Chapter 41
• • •

        Getting ready for school the next morning, I couldn't wipe the huge smile off my face. I felt like prancing around my room as I got dressed, and humming a happy song while I poured my cereal.

It was annoying as hell.

But I let it happen. It was completely unlike me to even be alive in the morning, let alone happy-go-lucky. I figured I'd let myself be obnoxiously happy for a change. Today, I would be the person that I usually can't stand.

And I honestly wasn't even that mad about it.

The first couple periods of the day flew by as I daydreamed about random things. This new attitude of mine clearly wasn't good for my academic success, but I was a lost cause anyway so it didn't really matter.

By the time I got to bio, I had officially gone the longest I ever had without rolling my eyes. As I sat down in my seat, I took out my agenda to quickly scribble down my homework that I wouldn't do anyway.

When I heard the chair next to me, I looked up and brightly smiled at Ashton, who then let out a small laugh.

"Someone's in a good mood," he commented, setting all of his things down. I shrugged and finished writing my homework as the teacher shut the lights off and displayed his PowerPoint on the front board.

As he went on and on about genetic pedigrees and how to know if they're dominant or recessive and other boring biology shit, I glanced over at Ashton.

He was looking down at the table, spaced out, as if in some sort of trance. He didn't notice my confused expression as I focused in deeper on his expression.

It didn't look as if he was dazing off, but rather thinking about something so intensely that he zoned out. His eyes were iced over, as per usual, but I had gotten a lot better at reading him. His jaw was clenched and his eyes held the type of hurt that you can't put into words.

I reached out and put my hand gently on his knee to get his attention, and he switched his attention over to me- seemingly normal again. My brows were still furrowed with concern, however.

"Not exactly a good time to be doing that," He spoke softly, slight amusement in his features as he lifted my hand off of his knee. I realized what we was talking about and blushed, lowkey embarrassed, but also lowkey flattered that I could make him feel that way.

I quickly refocused my attention on him, though. Would listening to why he's upset rain on my parade? Probably, because I was too much of an empath for my own good... but bottom line is I wanted to be there for him.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, seriousness present in my soft voice.

"What do you mean?" He tried to play it off.

"Oh cut the shit, I'm not an idiot. You can tell me," I reassured him, looking deep into his eyes. He rolled them and shrugged.

"It's nothing important.. my sister's birthday is today is all. She would have been sixteen," he paused. "Well I mean she is sixteen, wherever she is," he looked back down at the desk.

I frowned a little bit as I felt my hand in his. I looked back up at him and he gave me a sad smile.

"I'm sorry, Ashton. I really am," I attempted to console him, but I was annoyingly bad at consoling people. As much as I want to console people it just never really came out like I imagined it in my head.

"It's okay, I've accepted it by now," he claimed, looking away again. I paused a few moments.

"Have you?" I asked him sincerely. He met my gaze and a peculiar emotion flickered through his eyes. Just then, the bell rang.