Chapter 39

Chapter 39
• • •

        As the two groups socialized, I decided to walk down to the water. It was about 7, and the sun was beginning to set. I thought I was alone at first, but then I felt a presence by my side. As much as I wished it to be Ashton, I could tell that it wasn't. I looked over and saw Justin smiling down at me. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, and looked back at the approaching ocean.

"So that Ashton dude. You guys are dating right?" He asked casually. My heart quickened at his question, but I didn't know why.

"Um.. no," I responded uncertainly. To say that the thought of us meaning no more to each other than just friends didn't sting a little would be a lie.

"Oh," he said and looked down at me. We were almost to the water.

"Why do you ask?" I asked him and he shrugged.

"Just making sure he's not gonna kill me," he said, and in a split second, he had thrown me over his shoulder and started booking towards to ocean. I squealed and attempted to kick him, to no avail.

"He might not but I will!" I screamed at him and punched his back. All of a sudden we fell into the freezing cold water, and I became paralyzed for a brief moment. He let me go and I quickly shoved him off of me.

"You son of a bi-" I started, he cut me off by putting a finger to my mouth.

"Don't call my mom a bitch. You don't even know the woman," he smirked and I continued to burn into him with my eyes.

"Asshole," I said and leaned back into the water.

"Besides, throwing you in the water was totally validated," he said and smiled. I paused.

"I'd try to view this scenario from your perspective, but my head doesn't go that far up my ass," I snapped and continued to glare at him. He laughed.

"I was just having fun. And besides," he paused. "You're really hot." I rolled my eyes.

I went to say something to change the conversation, but he swiftly leaned in, and brought his lips to mine.

Never having even kissed him back, I quickly pulled away, and he quickly took his hands off of my waist. I slapped him across the face as a reflex.

"The hell was that?" I shot him a startled look. He brought his hand up to the cheek I slapped, surprised.

"Sorry I slapped you but seriously what the hell was that?" I asked again, slightly apologizing. "I mean, you're cute and all but consent is cuter."

"It's fine. It totally wasn't my place to do that," he said and slightly smiled. "Sorry."

"It's fine," I said and regained my composure. "We should go."

"Yeah," he said, seeming genuinely sorry. I smiled and nodded at him.

Back at our chairs, his group was getting ready to leave. For some reason I was actually sort of relieved to find this out. Since our house was a short walk away, we could stay till late.

As Justin helped out, I sat by the fire that was being lit by Kevin and Eli, who were currently arguing about wood or something. Ashton plopped down in the chair next to me. I looked over at him.

"Hey, guys," Kevin got our attention with an amused smile as he pointed to the fire. "It's lit."

As Kevin cracked up at his joke, the rest of us weren't sure wether to face palm, roll our eyes, or throw him into the water.

"Later guys!" Justin yelled over as they were all starting to leave. We waved and then returned our gaze to the fire.

"Is it even legal to have a fire on this beach?" Ashton asked Eli, who shrugged.