Oh star, fall down on me

Chapter 18:

Taylor’s POV:

As we drove down the road I noticed Hayley looking out the window out of the corner of my eye. She looked so lost in her thoughts that I decided to leave it. In fact I turned up the radio and instantly recognized the song that took over the air beginning to sing along.

“Beauty queen of only 18 she had some trouble with herself…” I sang as Hayley looked over at me and smiled. I glanced over at her as she started singing along.

For the first time in a while things between us seemed to be almost normal. There was no sneaking around, or hiding our feelings, or hospital visits, or depressing nights sleeping in the same bed, yet feeling like you are sleeping with a complete stranger. This moment I allowed myself to feel happy.

“….Look for the girl with a broken smile. Ask her ‘if she wants to stay a while?’ And she will be loved…” I sang louder than I have ever allowed myself to sing other than in the shower. I smiled at Hayley who turned down the music a bit.

She was giggling at this point and soon the song ended. I interlocked her fingers, bringing her hand up towards me placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand. I returned our hands still keeping our fingers interlocked.

“Don’t you ever worry Hayley, I will always make sure you feel loved.”

She smiled at me leaning over placing a kiss on my cheek. I blushed a bit as she did.

We continued our singing session until we reached the yogurt place. I knew that this was one of her favorite things to do whenever she was feeling blue. I remember as kids we used to ride our bikes here after practice or whenever her and Josh would have a big fight. I think the last time we ate yogurt together was when we had just come back from Europe.

She had broken up with Josh, started hanging out with Chad, and was starting to doubt herself all because of one old relationship and a new one.

She got out of the car before I even noticed walking into the shop as I quickly followed her, opening the door and holding it open for her. She smiled stepping inside as I pretend to tip an invisible hat to her.

“You’re such a dork.” She said suppressing a laugh at my current action.

After we had ordered our froyo we took a seat at one of the tables that are placed outside of the shop. We sat there just taking in our surroundings and enjoying our snack. I felt a pair of eyes on me as I looked up to see Hayley just staring at me. No expression on her face, just staring like she was spaced out.

“You ok?” I asked shoving another spoonful.

“Huh? What? Sorry didn’t hear you.” She said almost as if she indeed wasn’t here.

I chuckled at her and shock my head, not really thinking this was the appropriate environment to discuss our current situation.

After we finished eating I let her drive the car to wherever her little heart pleased. She made me cover my eyes with a bandana that I had in my car because she wanted to surprise me.

I was hesitant to this idea because not knowing where I was going did not sound like a good idea. But Hayley insisted that I did so. And I remember that today was about pleasing all her wishes as crazy as the idea was I did it all to see that smile on her face. The smile that makes my heart melt, the smile that made me fall in love with her when I was just twelve years old.

“We’re here!”

I took off the bandana off my eyes and saw nothing but trees and I instantly knew where we were.