Pray To A God That I Don't Believe In

Rain’s POV

I got off the phone with Andy.

I missed him a lot.

Walking out into the living room, I saw Raven talking to Dante, who looked completely engrossed in the conversation.

“Hey, guys.” I said.

“Hey! What’d Andy say?” Raven asked eagerly. He’d taken a major liking to Andy.

I smiled at him. “He said ‘Hey back.’”

Raven’s smile widened. “I can’t believe I live with Dante Phoenix and my sister’s dating Andy Biersack! Could this get any more perfect?!”

I laughed.

Dante smiled too and hugged Raven. “You’re an amazing kid y’know that?”

“Thanks!”

There was a knock on the door.

Dante and Raven kept talking and joking around as I walked over to the door.

It was, like, fucking 3 in the morning. Who the hell was at my door?!

I opened it slowly.

And my jaw dropped to the fucking floor.

What was she doing here?!?!

“Well, well, if it isn’t Rain.”

Holy hell. This can’t be happening.

“What do you want, Tammy?” I spat.

“I’d like my son back.”

“Sorry; no can do. You fucking abuse him and sell his body. I am not letting him go back to that. He’s happy here.”

“Don’t talk to me like that, you piece of filth!”

“Obviously, I’m doing way better than you.” I said venomously, looking her up and down, taking in the ratty clothing; disheveled, greasy dark hair; chipped red painted fingernails; slutty high heels.

Yeah, definitely Tammy.

Definitely my mother.

“Who’s at the door?” Dante called.

Tammy looked rather puzzled. “Is that a guy? What are you doing living on your own with a guy?!”

“Why the fuck do you care?”

“You little slut.”

“Whatever; Dante’s not my boyfriend.”

“I bet you sleep with him to get an apartment this good.”

“Fuck you. I’ve never slept with Dante.”

“Rain?” Dante called again.

He and Raven stood up and walked over to the door.

I heard Raven gasp and sort of recoil into Dante.

I saw Dante, being the sweet and loving guy he is, protectively wrap his arms around Raven. Despite the short amount of time he’d spent with Raven, he was already super close with him. I’d hear them at night, talking until the early hours of morning, when they’d finally go to sleep.

I swear they knew almost everything about each other already, and were practically inseparable.

“Come on, Raven. We’re going home.”

“And who are you?” Dante asked.

“I’m Raven’s mother.” She threw at him. “Who are you?”