Chapter Three

Iris

Startled by a knock at the front door Iris nearly dropped the knife she had been using to chop the vegetables for the next day's meal.

She hadn't been expecting any more guests until next week and Jake wasn't due back from his trip for a few days.

She was still pondering as to who this visitor could be as she made her way to the front door. She turned on a switch as she exited the kitchen which lit up the hallway and front door step.

"Who is it?" She called as cheerfully as she could although she was far from happy at being disturbed without any calls or text.

"It's Colt" a familiar voice answered she hurriedly unbolted the door and swung it open, "Colt" she said and threw herself at him he wrapped his arms around her embracing her in a tight bear hug.

she gazed up at his face "it's so good to see you little brother" she whispered trying to hold back tears. 

"It's good to see you too Iris" he said and released his grip of her holding her at arm's length he looked at her lovingly. "It has been far too long" he said and let her arms go the look on his face told her this wasn't a social visit, the almost black circles under his dark brown eyes, the pained expression that filled his handsome face were signs that he was struggling with something serious. Their father always had that same look every time he came back from whatever mission the army had sent him on.

"what's happened Colt, I haven't seen you in..."

"Listen" he said interrupting her chastise "I need your help; do you have any spare rooms going?"

She was just about to carry on scalding him when she noticed the young woman limping across the car park towards them in a soiled blue sweatshirt and torn jeans "who's that Colt?" she muttered looking at him worriedly.

"That's Clara" his eyes softened as he spoke "she's in a pretty bad way, I'll explain more later, she needs help, there's some pretty nasty people after her." His shoulders seemed to slump his eyes silently pleading with her "I know she'll be safe here".

Leaving her brother, she ran down the path glancing over her shoulder to shout "Go and put the kettle on Colt I'll make us some sweet tea."

Iris got to Clara in seconds taking in her appearance there was something really familiar about her features but one thing was for certain, she had definitely been through some kind of hell, her long auburn hair was loose and hung ragged around her face she had deep scratch marks on her cheeks, a cut lip and a massive bruise underneath her right eye, the light blue sweatshirt she had on had a rip in the arm and her jeans had a massive tear out of the left leg were there was dressing covering a wound, damn this girl had been through a battle and looked like she had barely made it.

"My name's Iris, I am Colts big sister" she said offering her arm for support.

"Clara" the woman said warily and managed a weak smile the obvious strain of her ordeal showed in her voice. She reluctantly took Iris's arm, sensing the tension and wariness of the situation radiating of this poor creature Iris reassured her gently "don't you worry honey" Iris patted her hand "you're gonna be ok now we'll take care of you, your safe here." Clara seemed to relax slightly and allowed her to take some of her weight.

When they got to the cottage Iris lead her straight into the lounge, sitting her down on the big cream corner sofa, the open fire was already burning away so she didn't need to add more wood just yet. She placed some cushions behind Clara to give her more comfort. "You rest here honey, I'll get you some sweet tea." she turned to exit the room and realised the girl must be famished.