51~ Lose

I stir my tea and watch as Blaise works to comprehend what I just told him.

"You mean to tell me.."

"I am Draco Malfoy."

"Oh Merlin. Draco Malfoy isn't dead, and he's engaged to Hermione Granger," Blaise states in disbelief.

"For now," I state.

"What do you mean by that? Are you two fighting?" Blaise asks in a concerned voice.

"I lost my entire family because of her, Blaise. How could I possibly go through with this?"

"Perc-Draco Malfoy, do you know what I though was one of the saddest thing about your fake death?" Blaise says as he continues to study me in disbelief.

"That you lost the hottest, sexiest, smartest person to ever walk into your life?" I reply sarcastically.

He slaps my arm, "No, you egotistical arse. I had listened to you, for seven years, go on and on about how much you love Hermione. How you'd give anything to be with her. The idea that you died and she never knew how much she meant to you, killed me."

"Killed you? Imagine what I went through. I spent all those years telling myself that I could finally have a chance with her, but I didn't try because I couldn't afford to be exposed," I explain.

"And you're willing to let the girl that you've been pining over forever, all because Lucius doesn't approve?" the dark skinned wizard asks as he studies me.

I sigh, "It's either I marry her and lose my entire family, or keep my family and lose her. Honestly, I'd rather have my family. They mean the world to me, Zambini, you of all people should understand that."

"You'd never forgive yourself, Draco. You're never going to forget her. You're always going to love the color of her eyes, and you're always going to search with someone with that same contagious laugh. You're never going to fully get over her. If you let her go, you're going to spend every night laying in bed wondering how you could've let her go," Blaise reasons.

"But if I marry Granger, my children will never know their grandparents. They'll never know what it's like to grow up at Malfoy Manor. Hell, they'll never even set foot in Malfoy Manor. They'll never know how calming Mother's garden is. They'll never get chances by Father's peacocks. How can I continue on knowing that I'll be depriving my children of all the best parts of my childhood?" I respond.

"How can you even think about marrying someone else when your heart clearly belongs to Hermione?"

"I can't lose my family, Blaise."

"When are you going to realize that you're not losing your family, you're making a new, better family. A family that will stand be to you no matter what. A family that will love you unconditionally. Most importantly, a family that will make you happy," Blaise states as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"But will I really be happy?"

Blaise shakes his head, "The last four years have taught you that you could never be happy without Hermione. Which would you rather have? Happily ever after with Hermione, the girl you fell in love with the second you saw her, or approval from Lucius, and constantly wonder 'what if'?"

"I'll answer that for you," Hermione states as she stands at the end of the stairs with her bag packed.

"Granger..."

"Draco, don't," she shakes her head, "I could never expect you to choose me over your family. You're parents are the most important people in your life, I could never ask you to give them up. So, I'm leaving. I'm sorry."

I watch as she opens the door to leave before I say, "It's raining, if you're going to leave, at least wear your rain coat."

She turns her tear streaked face to me, nods, and whispers, "I've always love you. We're just not meant to be."

"I'm sorry."

And at that moment, I watch the life leave her beautiful eyes as she walked out into the rain and never looked back.