52~ Fire and Water

*3 months later*

I stand on my balcony starring out at the city before me. To say I miss him is an understatement, but I had to leave. I sat at the top of his stairs listening to him contemplate what he wanted. Me or his family. I decided that I couldn't make him choose.

His parents are the most important people in his life. He fought the war for his parents. He took on the dark mark for his parents. He became a Slytherin for his parents. To expect him to change every rule he has ever followed just to be with me would be cruel.

Draco Malfoy was the boy who never had a choice, and even if he was given one, he would choose the what would make his parents happy.

We just aren't meant to be.

I am fire, and he is water.

I burn brightly. I am energetic, fierce, strong, and warm. I can do anything. I am passionate, a little hot-headed sometimes, occasionally a bit dangerous, but I can love like nobody else.

He is calming. He goes with the flow. He is cool, but not always in a good way. He crashes into everything like waves. He engulfs things. Anyone who meets him ends up changed. He is like the ocean during a storm. Insane, frightening, thrilling, but ultimately beautiful.

I suppose what the say is true, opposites attract. But that's no way to live. I need some form of stability in my life, something I can count on. He just couldn't be that for me.

But good god did i want him to be the one for me. The stability I always searched for in my life. But like the ocean, he is ever changing, sporadic, and I needed something constant, like the shore line.

I continue to stare out at the city. It's so beautiful from the distance of my 15th story apartment. The lights shining brightly, blocking out the stars in the night sky.

My thoughts are broken when I notice an owl sitting on the railing staring at me with a letter attached to its front leg.

I step forward and pet the owl before untying the letter. Once the letter is unattached from the bird's leg, it flies off into the night sky.

I stare down at the scrawled word Granger across the front of the envelope. I recognize the hand writing instantly.

My hands shake slightly as I work to break the seal and unveil the neatly written letter. I sigh at the familiar handwriting, that couldn't belong to anyone other than Draco Malfoy.

I take a deep breath before I read the letter.

~Granger

I wish there was something I could do or say to bring you back and make you realize how much I need you. But to do that, I'd have to actually admit that I need you.

My pride has always been my downfall. We both know this. I guess what I never knew was that my inability to admit that I'm wrong, or that I need help, would come in between us. On all the things that I thought would come between us, I had a feeling that my parents would be one of them, or my stubbornness, but all three is quite possibly unfixable.

I've picked up my phone to call you so many times I've lost count. When I read in The Daily Prophet that you moved on, I told myself that there was no getting you back.

I want to believe that there's still a chance for us, that this can't possibly be the end for us. But at the same time, I don't want any hope, because hope is what keeps me up at night.

I'm not writing this letter to beg for you to come back. I'm writing this letter to get you to promise me.

That's all I want. Just a promise that you'll never forget me. Tell me I changed you somehow. Let me know that I had an impact on your life. Promise me that you will always remember me. Losing you was hard enough, but I can't go on knowing that I meant absolutely nothing to you.

I cannot unlove you. I cannot forget the way your voice sounded in the middle of the night. I cannot forget the way your lips felt pressed against mine. I cannot forget the way you looked when you were asleep next to me. I cannot forget the way you made everything okay. I cannot unlove you, and it's killing me.

I guess I just need to know that you feel the same way.

I'm sorry for everything.

The one whose heart you will always have,

D.M.

I take a deep breath, wipe the tears flowing down my cheeks, as I work to put my thoughts down on paper.