[15] Suspicions

Avery Holmes

"I believe that it's my turn!" Harry said over the commotion in the room. It had to be past midnight by now, and boxes of pizza sat around the room. We'd been playing truth or dare for at least an hour and we were still at it, despite our drowsy, tired eyes.

"Fine, go." Zayn grumbled, laying down on the love seat beside Louis. "But I'm out man, I need to sleep." He closed his eyes and Louis patted his head, smirking to himself.

"Alright... Niall. Truth or dare?" Harry asked.

"I've done too many dares tonight, truth." Niall said, leaning back beside me on the couch, making the couch sink in, bringing me with him.

"Okay, truth... what do you think is my best feature?" Harry asked. I heard a snort from one of the boys, but I couldn't pinpoint which one, so I dismissed it.

"Your hair." Niall said. "Okay, Avery. Truth or dare?"

"Truth." I said. "I just saw Liam eat soap, so I'm not doing dare again." The boys laughed at Liam pulled a face, which earned some more laughter. Niall kept reminded them to be quiet because he put Aimee to bed a while ago and didn't want her to wake up.

"What is your biggest secret?" Niall asked bluntly. He was a very blunt person, so I should have expected this from him, but for some reason I didn't. Nervously, I looked around the room and nibbled on my bottom lip.

"Can I pass?" I tried to make it sound like a joke, but it ended up coming out weird.

"C'mon, it's just me and four strangers that you've never met before!" Niall said sarcastically. I shot him a look and Liam punched him in the shoulder, which earned a smile from me.

"What happens if I don't answer it?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Then you have to do a really gross dare." Niall said, crossing his arms over his chest, a smile still on his face. I couldn't get mad at him- he didn't know and he thought this was all just a joke. But if I would have told him about Jake, this wouldn't have happened.

"I'm a vegetarian." I blurted. After a few seconds I couldn't help it- I busted out laughing, which cued in their laughter as well. Maybe if I turned this into a joke, they'd just drop it and leave it be. Because I couldn't tell them, not the four new boys. I knew that they weren't buying it, though.

"We won't tell anyone." Louis said. "As long as you don't tell anyone I sleep with that picture of my girlfriend." I bit my lip, my pulse racing, and I leaned back on the couch.

"I'm actually really tired." I tried to change the subject. "Can we just go to bed? If I don't get my sleep, you won't want to deal with me in the morning." I warned. Zayn and Liam nodded in agreement, standing up. I watched as four of the boys filed out of the living room, and waited for Harry to stalk off, but he didn't.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked abruptly. I looked to the door, the boys were all gone and we were alone. It would be rude to reject him, so I nodded, standing up. He walked beside me and we went out to the balcony that was just outside the living room.

Walking out into the night air, which was cool and refreshing, Harry left the screen door cracked. I shoved my hands in my pockets and looked out at the view before he spoke.

"I'm gonna keep this quick, but.." He sighed, running his fingers through his tousled hair. "Something about the way you looked just now reminded me of my girlfriend, Darcy. She's my fiance now." He explained. I nodded.

"So..." I trailed off.

"Since you live in America you probably wouldn't have heard of Darcy Monroe, but she was kidnapped for two years. I used to always see this... fear in her eyes, and I couldn't help but notice how I saw that same fear in your eyes when you had to answer that question." I gulped, and then prayed it didn't sound too loud.