[44] So Close

.

  Avery Holmes

 .

 .

  Two Weeks Later

 .

 .

  Pain.

  Pain was the only thing that I felt. My body was numb and there were bruises dotting my skin, making me feel nothing but pity for myself. It was worse than when I lived with Jake before, because now he wanted me to know that I would never be with anyone else.

  A form of punishment, or so he called it, was being locked in a hotel room. Yes, that first day was the last day in my old home. It was hot and stuffy inside here and I wanted out.

 "Please, let me out!" I croaked, my throat burning. I was situated right by the door, so if it would open at any time I could try and scurry out. I was exhausted but not willing to sleep. If the door opened, I would want to be here to get out.

  Sighing, I got up and trudged over to the window, opening it up some more to try and let a breeze in. I had busted out the screen in attempt to jump down, but there was no way I'd survive the fall. If it came to it, I would kill myself by jumping.

  An emotional wreck, I plopped down on a tiny twin bed that barely fit me. There was a plain sheet on the bed, and a plain pillow that had a weird green stain on it that I didn't dare touch. I had removed the pillow from the first day, a bit worried that it was some sort of fungus.

  "Let me out!" I screamed, making my throat hurt even more. I began to cry, bringing the covers up to my chin. The sheets were too small for me, making my big feet stick out at the bottom. I needed water so bad, my throat killed.

  Suddenly, there was a loud bang on the door. I shot up, scurrying over to the door and waiting for anything else.

  "Shut up!" Jake hollered. "Some people are trying to enjoy their Saturday, don't make me come in there!" Those last words terrified me. I knew that I couldn't take too much of him, so I decided to shut up. Messing with Jake was never a good idea.

  "Please get me some food... water, something? Please, Jake." I croaked.

  Suddenly, the door opened in closed quickly. I gasped as something hit my head, making it hurt more than it already did. I looked to see the item fall to the ground and almost fainted when I saw it was a water bottle.

  I unscrewed the cap and immediately started chugging the drink down. All I could think about was how much I needed water and how I could drink for hours. It only occurred to me halfway through the bottle that I might want to save my water, because who knew? Jake might not be this nice for long.

  I put the cap back on the bottle, setting it down in front of me. I felt better now that I had a bit to drink, but the water in front of me was taunting. I had only gotten water a few times these two weeks, although I had gotten a small daily meal.

  I whispered profanities in Jake's direction, lying down on the floor. I knew he couldn't hear me, but it felt nice getting them out. I hated him and wouldn't take a second more to blow his brains out if I got a gun in my hands.

  "I wonder if Niall used the toilet paper to wipe." I chuckled hoarsely. "Maybe he's found someone else. Maybe they're not at our hotel anymore, but where would they be?"

  "What are you saying in there?" Jake hollered. I bit my lip and kept quiet, hoping that if he didn't hear anything he'd open the door and I could actually run out this time. But after about ten minutes of waiting for him to let me out, I gave up.