[27] Nevada

Avery Holmes

  A day had gone by since my announcement, and it seemed that everyone's spirits were lifted. Now there would be even more police trying to track Jake and Kate, which meant it brought us closer to getting them taken down.

  Despite all of the second thoughts that I was having, I did feel a weight being lifted off my shoulders. Niall tried to keep me busy, too, because it seemed whenever I had time alone he was getting me to do something with him and the others. Even though it was slightly irritating, he wanted me to be busy so I wouldn't start to worry.

  "Momma!" Aimee whined, sniffing loudly. I grabbed a tissue and wiped her dirty nose. Aimee had done a lot of complaining today that was driving me crazy, but I knew it was just because we'd been on the road for so long.

  "Do you know when we're going to stop?" I asked Liam, who was sitting beside me. 

  "Dunno, Ave. I'd like to think we're near the west coast by now, though." He said. "Sam won't say where we're headed because he doesn't want us to give away our location."

  "Well shouldn't your phone have some sort of tracker thing? Ask Siri where you are." I suggested. Liam's face lit up and he nodded, looking around the room. Sam was up front with our driver, probably asleep.

  "Siri, where am I?" Liam asked into his phone. Louis, who was across the room from us, smirked. I had to admit, this was a smart idea. I was surprised they hadn't thought of it beforehand.

  "You are in Tonopah, Nevada." The electronic voice said. My jaw dropped, I couldn't believe it. We were in Nevada, where my parents lived. Of all states, it had to be this one? And then I realized- Niall had wanted me to meet them. He told the driver to take us to Nevada.

  "Where's Niall?" I asked Liam.

  "Uh, I dunno." Liam admitted. "Check your bedroom, he might be in there. He likes to take naps sometimes in the afternoon."

  I nodded, standing up. Aimee reached for me and I smiled down at her, scooping her up in my arms. I knew it was okay to bring up my parents in front of Aimee because she didn't have a clue what grandparents even were. She'd be clueless.

  I went over to the middle of the bus, where the rooms where, and opened the curtain to our bedroom compartment. Sure enough, there was Niall, staring up at his phone. When he saw us his face lit up and he reached for Aimee.

  "C'mere, princess." Niall said. Aimee crawled into his arms and laid on him like he was a sofa. Despite my being mad at Niall, I smiled.

  "I have to talk to you." I told him firmly. When he looked up at me he could see it in my eyes that I was serious, and so he set Aimee down on the bed and kissed her forehead.

  "We'll be back soon, baby." He promised her. I gnawed on my bottom lip, keeping my arms crossed other each other, as Niall led me to the main room. He sat on the black couch and I sat beside him, still looking at him seriously.

  "Something wrong?" He asked, frowning.

  "Yes, something is wrong." I admitted. "Why are you taking us to Nevada?"

  I watched the surprise on his face- guess he underestimated me.

  "How did ya find out?" He asked.