[26] Road To Recovery

Niall Horan

  After she spoke that line, I gave her a blank look. A lump rose in my throat, but when I swallowed it only pushed it farther back down. She told me that she still loved him, but I also reminded myself she wasn't in love with him. There was a difference.

  Her eyes were glossed over and I could see her hand tremble as she anxiously awaited my answer. I bit my lip and nodded, nibbling on a hangnail, realizing that not responding was probably freaking her out.

  "Okay." I said at last.

  "Okay?" Avery asked. "That's it?"

  "Well, no," I admitted. "Sorry, I'm just tryin' to work things out in my head." Avery nodded, leaning back against the cushioned wall, looking adorable despite what she just told me. No matter what she said, it seemed that I couldn't love her less. Maybe that's how she felt toward Jake.

  "I think I understand what you mean," I sighed, still nibbling on my lip. "I know what it's like to have that first love. I had that with a girl named Tiffany, and she ended up cheating on me." It stung talking about Tiff, but it had to come out.

  "I didn't know." Avery said in a small voice. I shrugged.

  "Even though she cheated on me and then left me for him, I still felt love for her. Not the kind of love you confess for someone at the altar, but a sort of sad love. Because of all the memories, ya know?" I sighed, eyes watering over a little. I rubbed them furiously.

  "That's... exactly how I feel." Avery admitted. "I'm not in love with him, I don't want to go back to him, I'll never, ever be in love with him again. But at the same time I feel like I can't let him go." She ran her fingers through her tangled hair, and then covered her face with her hands.

  I reached out to her, grabbing her wrists and pulling them away from her face. Even though she had no physical scars on her face, there was evidence of pain and hurt. I knew that whatever Jake had done to her would damage her for the rest of her life. Knowing that made me so angry.

  "I think," I began, licking my lips. "That we need ya to go to counseling. Some sorta therapy to deal with this." I could see the worry lines on her forehead, but I stopped her before she could speak. "I'd go with ya, and Aimee. It would be okay."

  "I..." Avery sighed, closing her eyes. I saw a stray tear escape her left eye and I was quick to wipe it away. I hated to see my princess hurt. "I need to protect my daughter. I'm going to tell the police. I'm going to get help."

  A smile broke out on my face and I crawled over to her, holding her close in my arms. I shushed her as she cried, probably very afraid, and kissed her repeatedly on top of her head. I was so proud of her for making that first initial step. We were on the road to recovery.

  "Thank you baby, thank you, thank you." I whispered, kissing her all over her face, cupping her chin with my cheek. She giggled, despite the tears running down her cheeks, I could tell that she felt a sense of freedom.

  "You. Are. Going. To. Be. Okay." I said in between various kisses on her face. She threw her head back and laughed, sniffling and wiping her eyes.