chapter 1 | meeting sebastian's parents

Six Months Ago

Six Months Ago

Sunday Brunch (Seven Days Before Graduation)

It's a gorgeous, balmy Sunday, but I can't enjoy it. My nerves are getting to me. Meeting Sebastian's parents for the first time is causing serious anxiety. Oh God! I need air.

Reaching for the worn window knob reminds me how badly I need a new ride. I'm guaranteed a good upper arm workout each time I roll down one of these windows. A quick glance at my iPhone tells me time is not my friend today. Reaching across the seat, I frantically roll down the passenger side. With the task complete, I pull away from the curb with a jolt.

"Turn left in one-half mile," the iPhone navigates.

What if they don't like me? What if they don't think I'm good enough? What if I say something stupid? God, I hope they like me, because he's the one. I'm pretty sure of it . . . . This is what girls my age do. We go to college, graduate, and get married.

"Damn!" I could use anything but a stop light right about now.

Listen, that's how this works. The timing is right. I've got the guy. It's the next logical step. Besides, I'm a full-fledged adult.

A glance in the mirror screams otherwise. The wide eyes of a bewildered little girl stare back at me.

Nope. I'm an adult. It's time to make some real adult decisions.

After carefully following your Sexless Six-Month Rule, and a year and a half of dating, things are getting serious. He's met your family. Now, you're meeting his. You've both exchanged keys. Soon you'll probably move in together, maybe even get a place on the east side by the lake . . . .

Loud, aggressive honking brings my attention to the empty lane in front of me. In the rearview, the driver behind me is not too happy. Almost looks as if he's somehow caught mad cow disease, what with his red, bulging eyes, foaming mouth, and erratic pointing finger.

"What's his problem?"

I look up in time to see the green light turning yellow. "I better move it!" My heart flutters lightly as I step on the gas and quickly pull off.

I can see us waking up together. A proposal is coming. I know it. This is gonna be a perfect happily ever after.

Moments later, I arrive at the restaurant and park around the corner instead of in the parking lot. A "vintage" beauty like this has no business on this side of town. Honestly, vintage is putting it nicely. I get out, slam the door and check to make sure it stays shut, then rush inside. A hostess leads me to an already occupied table. Sebastian, Mr. Duvall and Mrs. Duvall are waiting. I take my seat.

"Hello, it's so nice to finally meet you." I smile, probably flashing every tooth in my mouth. "I hope you weren't waiting long."

Sebastian introduces us. "Mother, Dad, this is Aria." He beams as he looks to his mother, seemingly awaiting her approval.