chapter 20 | twenty questions

Three Months Ago

Three Months Ago

Saturday Night

"Let's get a round of shots for the table," Phoenix suggests.

"Grey Goose?" I suggest.

"Whatever you want." Phoenix smiles at me and rests his arm on the back of my chair.

"Temperature is starting to rise," I clear my throat, "I mean, this place is filling up fast. Is it always this lit?"

"It's a hot spot, usually our first stop before hitting up the Lotus," Riz tells us.

"And our last stop before heading home. You're already up on the breakfast, Aria," JC reminds me.

"What breakfast?" Mia and Penelope ask simultaneously.

"This place is slick. It doubles as a brunch restaurant on the weekends." Phoenix guzzles his Corona.

"I came here with these guys for breakfast one morning, a little while back," I confess.

"So, you stayed out all night with these guys?" Penelope asks with a side of attitude.

Under her breath, Mia whispers to Penelope, "And, where were we?"

"Protective, are we?" Phoenix looks a bit thrown.

"That's what you get when you grow up without a father. Gotta look out for each other." Mia's nostrils flare in annoyance.

"We didn't go out. Just breakfast."

Phoenix comes to my defense. "We ran into each other that morning and got a bite to eat. What's wrong with that?"

"She said, someone at work told her about this place. You," Penelope points to Phoenix, "had to tell us she's been here before. If it wasn't for you, we'd never know." She looks at me. "What's up with that? Why are you hiding?"

"I'm not hiding anything." My glare tells her to back down, but she conveniently ignores it.

"I just want to know the truth." Penelope pretends to be innocent.

"Me too!" Mia chimes in.

"You two hook up yet?"

"What is this? The Gestapo?" Phoenix asks, clearly frazzled.

"No! Let me set the record straight since everybody wants to gang up on me. Sebastian came by at like three in the morning. I thought he came to work things out. Turns out I was wrong, at least partially. He came to tell me he's going to be a father. He got Trina pregnant. I was floored. There were no words. I went for a walk, wandered to the lake."

Mia raises her eyebrows, not buying it.

"That has to be like five miles or something." Penelope looks wide-eyed. "That bastard!"