chapter 40 | suspicions

Seven Weeks Ago

Seven Weeks Ago

Thursday Evening

Phoenix excuses himself for the restroom. Alone with my thoughts for the first time since we made up, I realize something inside is still a little broken.

You don't fully trust him.

I don't buy the I'm-working-on-a-project thing. There's got to be more to it.

I try looking through his phone. It's locked. Spying on him, while he's in the next room causes alarms to go off in the back of my mind. I never wanted to be this type of girlfriend, but I feel like I have no choice. I need to get to the bottom of this. A six-digit pass code? Let's try his birthday. No luck. OK. Let's try the date he took over his company. It's not that either. Phoenix flushes the toilet and washes his hands. I quickly tuck the phone back where I found it and pretend to look at a magazine off the coffee table.

"Your magazine is upside down." He points out as he returns to the couch.

My face quickly heats up. "Oh . . . it's supposed to be like that. It's one of those fitness mags. See?" I flip the magazine to show him both covers. I've never been so happy to have picked up one of these magazines.

"So, this project you're working on, I know you said you didn't want to talk about it, but I'm curious. What is it?" I ask, trying to sound casual as I flip through pages.

"It's a documentary. I always wanted to venture off into film."

"Really? You have your hands in a lot of jars. What is it about?"

"You'll be first to see it when it's done."

"Cool. So, the subject matter. What's it about?" I press.

"I can't go into it, Ari. Can we just chill out and enjoy each other?" He puts his feet up on the coffee table and wraps an arm around me.

Feeling very unsatisfied, I sigh. "Sure . . . well . . . let me know if I can help in any way. I think it's awesome to do new things. Have you done this before? Filmed a documentary?"

"No. It's actually a lot of fun."

"A lot of fun, huh? Cool. What made you decide to do it?"

"It's something I've been wanting to do for years. I know a lot about this subject and thought I could make some money doing it. What's up with twenty questions?" He shoots back.

"Listen, you disappeared on me. I was worried sick, and the worst thoughts came to mind. I just want to know what you did during that time. I mean how could you leave me hanging like that? You really hurt me!"

"Ari, I never meant to hurt you."

"But you did! How am I to know you weren't with another woman?" I stand and move away. I need a little distance for this conversation.