chapter 13 | waiting room II, too much

Present Day

Present Day

"So, did you post it online?" The girl stares back, her mouth wide open.

"We did. It got quite a few hits, like almost 40,000 the last time I checked. That was months ago, I'm sure it's way more now. I don't promote it like I used to. I'm over Sebastian. It's fun to look back on, though. He saw it online, you know."

"No!"

"Yes! He even commented, asking us to take it down. Which we ignored. He doesn't know who we are and that, my friend, adds a certain sweetness to the revenge. It's torturous for him, not having control. I took my power back and that feels so much better than the way I felt leaving his party." I extend my hand. "I'm Aria, by the way."

She palms her forehead. "Where's my mind? I'm Aya." She shakes my hand. "You know, I'm glad you're here." She sits there shaking her head and rubbing her belly. "It's been one crazy morning."

For the first time since I sat down, I notice that her belly is bigger than it should be for a girl as slender as she is. The baggy clothes aren't questionable fashion, they have a purpose.

"Thanks for taking my mind off all this."

"No worries. It's kind of cathartic. Helping me to work through some things I hadn't really paid attention to before."

"One hand washes the other."

"True Dat." I raise my eyebrows and glance to the side.

Aya cocks a half smile and snickers to herself.

____________________

Five Months Ago

"Someone's in a hurry."

I brush past Sasha, to head to the Powder Room. "I was supposed to be here to help set up. Please tell me you did the prep?" I yell from across the empty club.

"I'm on it, no worries! Why are you dressed like that?"

"Just left a dinner interview. First round. For a corporate grocery chain. They filter out potentials by pitting us up against each other over a formal dinner. There were at least a hundred of us. All hungry, ready to kill each other to get a spot in the top ten. It was ruthless." I back into the door, pushing it open.