chapter 3 | homies

In the VIP section one over from Phoenix, the hostess seats Lisa and her group

In the VIP section one over from Phoenix, the hostess seats Lisa and her group. She's one of my favorite regulars. And it looks to be her birthday today. I head over to her table.

"Hey ladies! How are we doing tonight?"

"Hey, Aria! It's my birthday!"

"I see, I see! Let's celebrate in style!" I yell excitedly. I get the feeling I'm being watched, I glance back at Phoenix and catch him staring at me. He quickly looks away and starts talking to a girl standing near him.

"Yes, girl, yes! Bring me your biggest bottle of Patron, pineapple juice, and plenty of limes and salt."

On hearing the word, Patron, the girls jump up and down with that ready-for-the-weekend excitement I'm so familiar with. A few drinks and they'll be on top of the world. They look like a fun bunch to take over the town with.

"Gotcha. Be right back." I make my way to the bar and put in my order.

Instead of waiting, I head to the DJ's booth and request a birthday announcement and song choice for Lisa. I've heard DJ Lex is a jerk, and never agrees to anyone's requests. Still, when he looks up from his DJ table, his expression softens. He welcomes me into his booth and to my surprise, agrees to make the announcement.

When I get back, my drinks are waiting at the bar. I quickly grab them and work my way around the crowd.

Phoenix is laughing with a new girl.

Why are you checking on him like that?

"Here you go, ladies!" Setting everything neatly on the table, I pass out the first round of shots.

"To one of the best chicks in my VIP! Happy Birthday, Lisa! Bottoms up."

Echoes of Happy Birthday resonate from the other girls and we all take our shots. People around us notice and cheer us on in celebration.

Phoenix takes notice and smirks. He motions for me to come over.

"OK, ladies. That one is on me. I had to get your night started right."

"Yes, honey!" Lisa yells at top decibel.

The girls swarm the table, pouring their next round of drinks.

"Let me know if you need anything else." As I walk away, the hostess seats several Green Bay Packers. I recognize most of them from the defensive line. She sits them in the empty section next to Lisa and the girls go batshit crazy with fangirl excitement. I find myself cracking up at the whole scene. They're professional football players, they should be used to it by now.

I smile at Phoenix as I walk up to join him.

"You're excellent at what you do. You know how to take care of people," Phoenix pays me yet another compliment.