chapter 23 | romance

Ten Weeks Ago

Ten Weeks Ago

Wednesday Late Afternoon

"Where to?" We jump out of Phoenix's truck. He grabs a blanket and cooler from the back.

He gestures towards a clearing in the trees and walks onto the grass. I follow. Trees line the entire park, except for a long stretch that seems to have an infinity edge.

As I get closer to the edge, I peer over and discover a gulf. "I would not want to fall down there." I back away, joining Phoenix. "So, what do we have here?" I ask, pointing to the blanket and cooler.

He must've noticed the look on my face. "As cliché as it seems, it's still cool to do sometimes. A picnic every now and then is OK." Phoenix silently scolds me as he takes the thick, navy plaid blanket and spreads it out. "Sit here. Just one thing, promise me you won't sneak a peek. I've got a little something planned."

"Scout's honor." I hold up three fingers and keep a straight face.

Phoenix smirks as he walks away.

You were never a Boy or Girl Scout! Stop that, stupid!

I laugh at my own terrible performance. I'm giddy, excited to see what's in store and after such a death-defying, life-changing jump, I doubt he can do anything to top that.

This sunset life! Vibrant pinks and oranges color the sky and surround the lazy sun as it dips on the horizon. A perfect ending to a mind-blowing day. I lean back on the comfy blanket, cross my legs and let my mind wander as somewhere behind me, the sizzling sound of a grill piques my curiosity.

Points for originality.

I smell the aroma of grilled seafood? Whatever it is, it smells delicious. Continuing to listen, I hear Phoenix moving around quickly, putting things together. He's intense, as if he's trying to get things just right. Before I realize it, he's back beside me.

"Dinner is ready. Are you?" he asks in a suggestive tone.

I'm tingly all over. "Sure am," I reply defiantly staring into his eyes.

"Here, try this on." Phoenix hands me a blindfold.

"What's this? I thought we were having dinner."

"We are. You were bold enough to jump out of a plane with me today, I know you can do this."

I crack a smile. "What are you up to?"

"Play along and you'll find out," he insists.

I put on the blindfold. He turns me in circles, leaving me dizzy and disoriented. Then he takes me by the hand and leads me as we walk.

"See, you can still have the element of surprise in a picnic."

I hope he's not the charming Charles Manson type.