chapter 9 | hashing it out

Six Months Ago

Six Months Ago

Saturday (The Day Before Graduation)

"Hold up! All this happened in the last two days? This weekend? Friday and Saturday? Yesterday and today?" Mia looks at me incredulously. "You can't be serious." She flips the hair out of her face in frustration. Her long, curly black hair is the perfect complement to her off-beat, thrift store sense of fashion. My best friend, but also my family, Mia is the little sister that thinks she's bigger than the big sister. Slightly taller than me, she tries to use that extra inch to make me believe it but it doesn't work. I'm sharper, smarter and cuter. OK. She's cute too. Super cute, actually.

"Oh, I'm serious, Mia! So, my question is, what do I do about it?"

"I'll tell you what you do, chica! You can't let these guys run over you," my down-for-everything girl, Penelope, puts her two cents in.

Forever in my corner, Penelope Lopez is the kind of girl you keep around when things go south. She doesn't shy away from a challenge and will hold you steady when you're unsure. Ever since her mom moved into our neighborhood in third grade, we three have been thick as a full head of unkempt, natural hair. We're inseparable.

"Where do they get off thinking they can treat you like that? The disrespect! Pinche pendejos!" Her stunning hazel eyes burn with frustration. She runs her hand through her long, black, shiny mane.

The waitress sits a café mocha with a heart swirled into the foam, in front of me, a café latte and blueberry muffin for Mia, and caramel flan latte for Penelope. It's late in the evening, but caffeine never goes out of style for us. I intentionally slurp the heart out of my foam. Who needs it?

"What do you think Sebastian was talking about when he said he stood there watching you for twenty minutes?"

"Girl, I have no idea how he could see me doing anything anywhere, we didn't see each other last night. I cancelled our date because I had to work all night! And trust me, nothing happened at the job."

"Let's back track that for a second." Mia's investigative bone kicks in. "I need to know everything. Is there anything you haven't told us?"

"I don't know. Let me think." I try remembering anything worth telling. "Sebastian's always been a little insecure. He used to tell me about this reoccurring dream he had of me cheating on him with a guy at a party." I frown and shrug my shoulders.

"That's only because he's a rotten boyfriend," Mia adds.

"Yeah, didn't he sleep around when you two first got together?"

"That was before we got serious."

Mia purses her lips. "Well, those dreams are just residual guilt. The guilt comes when they start catching feelings for you."

"You're probably right," I admit.

"Chica, is that it? Cause a dream shouldn't have caused him to act like that. Unless he's one of those domestic violence crazies. You know, you've seen the type on Investigation Discovery, aka ID." She raises her perfectly arched eyebrow. "You know my neighbor, Karen? She was involved with one of those crazies and—"