chapter 30 | out in the open sea

Nine Weeks Ago

Nine Weeks Ago

Friday Night

We arrive at the harbor just before dusk. The sun hangs low in the sky. Luis Fonsi's "Despacito" is banging in the background. I'm about to party like I've never partied before. I'm walking the pier with Phoenix by my side and my girls behind me. The night is full of mystique and the lit pier adds to the romantic ambiance of the setting. Soft lighting reflects off the waves, making the water shimmer and glisten. An outsider observing probably would've thought we were a wedding party, dressed in all white, walking the pier in pairs. Riz and Mia, Penelope and JC, and Sheila and Nixon follow in that order. The dark blue, open ocean and luxurious all-white superyacht lie before my eyes. Sitting at least three levels above water, it's the biggest boat I've ever seen up close. A marvel to behold. I'm excited to see what it looks like inside. As we approach the looming yacht, there are people in white already on board, some holding glasses, some eating hors d'oeuvres, some smoking cigars.

The closer we get, the more nervous I feel.

What's up now? You've done this a thousand times. You work at a club! Once you've been to one party, you've been to them all. Lighten up, have some fun, girl!

I've never done it with so much at stake. This incredible guy, this out of this world getaway, this off-the-runway dress, these designer shoes, this jewelry! I look like a trust fund baby, but I feel like a fraud. This isn't me.

My mouth goes dry and my breathing becomes short and shallow.

Am I a fraud?

If you're a fraud, then so is Cinderella and every other girl that ever tried to love a man outside her hood.

Cinderella? That's your best argument? At midnight her dress turned to rags. Who am I trying to fool? This won't last.

Well then, Romeo and Juliet or Westside Story. The point is, it's OK to want to be with someone that's not from around the way. Someone outside the norm. Who wouldn't want to be with a prince charming like Phoenix?

My temples throb.

Don't mess this up, girl. Be easy. Keep a cool booty. Let tonight be magical.

Phoenix glances over at me. "You cool? You look a little seasick and we're not even on the boat yet."

I breathe in deeply. "I'm good, just a little nervous."

"Nervous? About what?" His eyes are filled with concern.

"I don't know. It's everything. Everything is just so — so damn perfect! And I'm . . . not." I avoid making eye contact.

He pulls me to the side and looks at Riz. "Meet us on the yacht, we'll be right behind you." He turns back to me. "I thought this is what you wanted. I thought you'd be impressed. You know I'm doing all this for you, right? That's the only reason we're here. It's all just for you."