chapter 31 | behind closed doors, waiting room IV

Behind the guarded French doors is a private casino, filled with loud, laughing, drinking gamblers

Behind the guarded French doors is a private casino, filled with loud, laughing, drinking gamblers. The room is surrounded with dark tinted windows, there are people outside on the deck dancing, drinking and talking. Some even attempt to catch a glimpse of what's going on in this room, but the tint is too dark. I look up at the ceiling to see a giant, golden compass. The wooden floor we're standing on mirrors the design of this oversized compass. It's exquisite. Starting at a single, tiny point in the middle of the floor, chocolate, sand and tan wooden planks are arranged shooting out from that point, forming a large compass-like circle. The room looks rich.

"Is this casino legal?"

Phoenix squints his eyes giving me a "hush" look.

A staffer in a white tuxedo approaches as we enter the room. "Can I help you, Sir?"

"How much to play?" he asks casually.

"Games start at $1000 and go up from there."

Phoenix whips a roll of bills out of his off-white linen pants. "Here, put me down for thirty."

He says it with such nonchalance, it's a little off-putting. I look at the side of his face.

Who is this guy?

I know I should come to expect it at this point, but it just keeps coming. I've never seen anyone remotely like him in real life.

The staffer takes the cash and comes back with a stack of chips. "Here you go, Sir. Good luck and enjoy."

Phoenix tips him a whole chip.

That's $1000! Mind. Blown.

"We don't need luck. Thank you." My posture straightens as I survey the room, feeling like I can conquer the world.

"I'm gonna follow your lead, Ari. I got a good feeling about you." He stands behind me.

Out the side of my mouth, I whisper, "You're the big risk-taker. I've never gambled before." I look around at all the other gamers.

He rests his hands on my waist as he whispers into my ear, "Perfect. You'll have beginners' luck, then."

"We don't need luck, remember?"

"Right. Well then, win or lose, we always win. Cause we're in this together." Smiling into my ear, he prompts me. "Where to?"

"There." I confidently point to a table. "Win or lose, right?"

"Ah! You wanna play craps? Believe it or not, that's my game. You're already off to a good start."

We walk over to the table and break through the crowd to get to the front.

Phoenix looks at the dealer. "I want in on the next roll."

The dealer nods.

An older gentleman rolls the dice and everyone at the table collectively sighs. He looks at the dealer and runs his hand across his throat, signaling to cut him off. He takes his remaining chips and walks away, leaving an empty space at the head of the table, which Phoenix and I quickly fill. He pulls me in front of him.