chapter 32 | catching feels

Nine Weeks Ago

Nine Weeks Ago

Friday Night

Hundreds of thousands of dollars richer, Phoenix and I float right out of the casino. We're untouchable. For the moment. We find our way to the balcony. Yuna's "Crush" featuring Usher, plays in the background, giving off a chill vibe. It's balmy and breezy. Land is far away. I still see the skyline but it's getting smaller and smaller. The night hangs over us like a black cloak, blending in with the water. It's so dark, I can't tell where the sky ends, and the water begins. It's spectacular.

The world looks new to my eyes. "I didn't know it could get this good."

"Gets even sweeter when you close million-dollar deals."

"After this, I think I could close a few deals like that. Easy as pie."

Phoenix laughs at my naivety.

"There's the bar." I point across the deck.

"C'mon. Let's get a drink."

"Bottled water for me."

Phoenix waits for the bartender then orders a water and a vodka tonic with lime.

"So, now you're drinking my drink?" I ask with one eyebrow raised.

He takes a sip. "It's not bad but I would think a little college girl like you would like something a little fruitier?"

"I'm a graduate now, remember? It's been months since I walked across that stage and embarrassed myself." I shake my head as I lean on the railing.

"Embarrassed yourself? How?" he inquires curiously.

"You won't believe me when I tell you. You actually had something to do with it." I laugh.

"Me? How?" his high-pitched voice is laughable.

"Remember when we first met, we talked about Scarface?"

"Yeah, so?" He pushes off the railing and turns to face me.

Still embarrassed by that moment, I let it slip out under my breath. "Well I used a line, actually a couple of lines from the movie when I accepted my diploma. I did it in front of everyone too, at least two or three thousand people."

"You did what?" His eyes are wide with amusement.

My cheeks grow even hotter as I think about it. I clear my throat and slow down. "When I got on stage, I literally snatched the mic from the announcer and in a Cuban accent, I said, 'I want what's coming to me.' I put the mic to the guy's lips. He looked at me confused and asked, 'What's coming to you?' so I told him, 'The world, Chico, and everything in it.' It felt like a mic-drop moment, so I did it."

"Did what?"

"I dropped the mic. Like a gangster. Everybody lost it. The crowd busted out laughing."