chapter 37 | a hard landing, waiting room V

Eight Weeks Ago

Eight Weeks Ago

Sunday Afternoon

We touch down in Milwaukee after the flight. Home sweet home.

"Wanna hang out? We could Netflix and chill at my place?" I'm like a pup, happy to see its owner at the end of a long day.

"Sorry babe, remember I told you? I have that business to take care of."

"Oh, right. Well, what about after?"

His phone rings. "Let me take this?" He takes the stairs and steps off the jet.

I turn to Mia and Penelope as we gather our luggage. "Let's hang out. Go to a movie or something."

Mia happily sings her response. "Can't. I have plans."

"Lo siento, chica. JC and I are chilling at his place. Another time?"

"Sure, another time." I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed no one wants to hang out but I'm happy they've both found guys they like. "Have fun."

Just as I'm trying to look on the bright side, my sandal strap gets caught on someone's luggage that's sitting in the aisle. I can't keep my balance. Blood rushes to my face as I try to save face but I end up falling face forward as we're all walking towards the exit.

Sheila is first to see. She laughs so triumphantly, so loudly, she calls more attention to me than I'd like.

I could die right now.

Mia and Penelope turn around in surprise.

"Ari!" Mia reaches to help me up.

Penelope grabs the luggage and moves it out the way. "Oh my God! Are you OK, girl?"

Nixon frowns and elbows Sheila. He tries to cover for his insensitive wife. "Don't mind Sheila," he tells me under his breath. "Can I help you with your bags?"

I laugh, trying to get over the awkwardness. "I'm OK. I'm fine. Thanks." I brush myself off wondering how I let that one happen.

I walk down the steps and Phoenix comes to me, oblivious to the situation. "So, listen. I'll have Leon take you home from here."

Still frazzled from the fall, I grow more disoriented from hearing this. "What? Why can't we at least ride together?"

"I have a meeting."

"What kind of meeting takes place on a Sunday?"

"Just some business I have that can't wait. We'll hook up later. OK?"

I fight back the urge to question him deeper and take a deep breath. "OK."

I say my goodbyes to my girls and watch as they go off with their shiny, new boy toys.

Phoenix walks me to the Ghost with his arm wrapped around my waist. "We'll talk later." He kisses me on the forehead, I get in the car and Leon drives off.