chapter 4 | he said what?

I look up to see Phoenix waving for me to come over

"Hey, where you been, sweetheart? The well is running dry." Phoenix holds up an empty glass and clanks the ice.

"Sorry about that. I took a break for a little while. Let's re-up."

"I'll take two more bottles. Grey Goose and Remy."

I quickly return with drinks in tow.

"Who's that girl you were with? She works here too, huh? Looks just like you."

I refill his drink. "Yeah, people say that. That's Sasha."

"At first, I couldn't tell who was who, but the hair gave it away. You're curly, she's straight."

I detect a slur in his words. "Crazy right?" I reach for a coil of my hair to wrap my finger around.

"Time for another shot!" Phoenix happily and drunkenly points to the ceiling.

"OK! Another shot it is," I concede.

"What are we toasting?" The grin plastered on his face is comical.

He's cute.

I find myself giggling. "Well in one hour, I'll be off duty. A free woman! I'm so happy I can taste it."

"What? You're leaving me?" His grin turns to a frown. He genuinely looks hurt.

Why is he wearing his heart on his sleeve, like that?

"I'm leaving because I'm off work. Don't make this about you." I playfully pretend to slap his arm.

He snaps out of his funk and smiles again. "Alright. Alright! To Aria being a free woman, a free agent, and getting the man of her choosing."

Free agent? Man of my choosing, huh?

We take our shot.

He sets his shot glass down on the table and rests his hands gently on my waist. He looks me in the eye, almost daring me. "Now, give me a kiss."

Now, I'm the one that's drunk. Being in such close proximity with this god of a man as he demands a kiss from me, throws me off guard. "What? I don't kiss my customers."

"Give me a kiss. Come on." He moves in closer.

I push him back, pressing my hand against his chest. It's confirmed, he definitely works out. "No. I'll give you a hug cause you're hella cool."

He leans in. "I want a kiss."

Against my better judgment, my lips throb. "No, I'll give you a peck on the cheek and leave lipstick marks. Make sure all the ladies know you're a playboy."

"That's not what I asked for." He steps even closer, bridging the gap between us.

Blood courses through my veins at a feverish pace.