Different

Sophie

This morning felt different. Not only because the loud snores coming from Aunt Judith's guest room kept me up all night but also because I didn't receive my usual 'good morning beautiful' text from Ryan. It had been a week since he died.

It was weird, I had just buried him yesterday but it felt like he had been gone much longer. I felt really bad for feeling this way but I just couldn't lie to myself.

I got out of bed and went with my normal routine although there was a big hole in it.
I took a shower and got dressed. I grabbed my backpack filling it with all my essentials before going downstairs.

The scent of sausages filled my nostrils.

I made my way to the kitchen where my dad and aunt Judith were.

I walked towards my dad and planted a kiss on his cheek then went to aunt Judith and did the same.

"Morning." I greeted.

"Hey kiddo." My dad greeted as he set the newspaper he was reading down.

"Something smells great, Aunt J." I told her.

"Thank you sweeties, it's my goal to fatten you up a little. Has your dad been feeding you at all? You've become so skinny." She commented.

I examined myself and as far as I was concerned, I could still see my fat thighs and flabby arms.

"Umm.... maybe another time, I'm so late." I spoke quickly.

"You know you don't have to go in today, right, kiddo?" My dad said.

"Dad, I appreciate it but honestly, I've finally come to grips with Ryan death. And I can't keep skipping classes or I won't graduate next year."

He forced a small smile but the worry lines in between his brows were still visible.

"We wouldn't want that, would we?" He stirred in his seat. 'Okay, I'll give you a ride then."

"Oh, she can take my car."

"Really?" I asked, my eyes widening.

Her Lamborgini would definitely stand out. It was anything but inconspicuous. And attention is the last thing I wanted.

Aunt Judith shrugged. "Yeah, I have nowhere to go in this boring old town anyway."

"I don't think Sophie should be driving such a fast car. It's not safe." My dad spoke.

"Come on Phil, she has to get back on that bike after she falls. If you keep babying her, she will never grow. Trust me, you do not want your dad driving you around all your life."

I still didn't want to imagine the kind of attention I would draw to myself if I arrived in her car.

My boyfriend just died and I was out driving expensive cars? What would people think of me?

"Maybe dad is-"

"No, you are driving my car. No more arguments." She shoved a plate full of eggs, bacon, toasted bread and baked beans in my hand.

"And you better eat all that up before you get to school."

"Really, Jude?" My dad rolled his eyes. "Now you're encouraging her to eat and drive?"

"Hey, it's not like I'm encouraging her to drink and drive."

"This is so like you-"

"Bye guys!" I yelled cutting my dad and Aunt Judith off before they started to bicker.