A Crush?

Sophie

"So Phil? How was your date?" Aunt Judith asked casually as she bit into her bacon.

My dad choked on his coffee.

I couldn't help but stifle a laugh.

After he had recovered, he looked at us with a straight face. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I shared a look with Aunt Judith.

Of course I told her about my dad and Helen.
Aunt Judith is like my big sister, it's customary for us to gossip about stuff like that.

"Oh you know..... that date you had last night with a certain sexy brunette." Aunt Judith teased.

My dad let out a sigh. "How did you guys know?"

I looked at Aunt Judith wondering what she was going to say.
I had snuck out yesterday and that's how I knew.

Aunt Judith simply shrugged. "We heard you leave." She lied smoothly as she got another piece of bacon.

It's amazing how my dad's side of the family can eat whatever they want and never gain weight. Where as I on the other hand blow up whenever I take one bite.

That's why I had opted for a bowl of oatmeal instead of indulging in the fried and carb filled meal my dad and aunt Judith ate.

"So, when did all this start?" I asked curiously.

"Yesterday was our third date." My dad responded. He concentrated on his food and avoided eye contact. This conversation must have made him uncomfortable.

"So did you ask her out or did she have to do it?" Aunt Judith asked.

I could see the faint pink tint his cheeks.

"It's the twenty first century, there's nothing wrong with an independent woman asking a man out." He spoke.

Aunt Judith and I shared a look before bursting out laughing.

My dad looked at us in confusion. "What?"

"That's just 'boy talk' for 'I was too much of a whimp to do it myself." She told him.

My dad muttered something incoherent under his breath.

"I think it's great that you're dating again." I spoke in a small voice.

My dad looked at me and he smiled.
"Really?"

"Of course." I giggled. "I've been trying to get you to go out with someone for the longest time. I'm glad it's with someone as amazing as Helen."

"Thanks kiddo." He spoke.

I looked at him and for the first time in a long time, I saw this spark in his eyes.

The same one he got when my mother was still alive. It made me happy to see him like this.

"Well, I hate to ruin a good family moment but I have some bad news..." Aunt Judith spoke.

I looked at her in concern. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong. I just-I have to go back home soon."

I frowned. I had gotten so used to having Aunt Judith here, I didn't even consider the fact that she'd have to go back home soon.

"Come on Jude, can't you stay a bit longer?" My dad asked. They might argue all the time but my dad really does love his sister.

A look of sadness crossed Aunt Judith's face. "I really wish I could. I have had so much fun hanging out with my family in spite of this boring old town." Aunt Judith spoke as she placed her hand on mine.