Her Departure

Sophie

  "You're meeting his family?" Aunt Judith exclaimed as her hazel eyes widened. "Like his whole family?"

"It's no big deal Aunt J." I told her as I struggled to lag her suitcase down the hall.

"Yes it is! I haven't even met Eugene's family and we're been together for more than a year."

I wanted to point out that I had already met Emmett's siblings but then I realised that even though I had somewhat eased up around them, it was still a nerve wracking experience. I had met Emmett's dad too but that was as his patient. I had no idea what Carlisle and Emmett's mother were really like.

I dropped Aunt Judith's suitcase and froze.

"Okay, now I'm freaking out."

Aunt Judith rushed to my side and held my shoulders making me face her.

"No, don't. I haven't known Emmett long but I can tell that he's crazy for you. I mean who would act that crazy jealous if they weren't into you?" She squeezed my shoulders reassuringly.

"If he's into you that much then I'm sure his family will love you too. And of they don't, they're just a bunch of shallow good looking people."

I giggled and wrapped her in a hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much." I whispered.

"I know." She giggled before pulling away. "I wish I could stay and watch how things are going with Emmett. Someone has to be here to kick his ass if he breaks your heart." The thought of Aunt Judith going against massive Emmett was humorous to say the least.

"I think dad's got that covered." I told her although I knew my father couldn't take Emmett even if he wanted to or could he? My father can get pretty crazy when it comes to protecting me but I don't know if he can face a vampire. "I'll keep you posted on everything that's going on here as long as you promise to keep me posted on everything that'll be going on in L.A with Eugene."

Aunt Judith rose one of her perfectly shaped eyebrows at me. "Even the sex stuff?"

My eyes widened. "Everything except the sex stuff."

"Prude." Aunt Judith muttered as she waved me off. "But I definitely want to hear about you and Emmett's sex stuff."

I blushed furiously. Holding hands seemed intimate enough with Emmett. I couldn't imagine doing anything else with him.

At that moment my dad came strolling in with his hands all greasy.

"What are you guys talking about?" He asked.

"Nothing." Aunt Judith and I yelled simultaneously.

He shook his head and muttered something about how weird all Lockwood girls were.

"Anyway, Jude, your car's all ready. I checked everything and it all seems to be fine but are you sure you want to leave today? I mean you went to bed late last night and it's a really long drive-" Aunt Judith shut my dad up by jumping into his arms and wrapping him in a hug.

"I'll miss you too Phil." She spoke.

As I said, they might argue all the time but they love each other.

They finally pulled away, my dad threw an arm over his sisters shoulder.
He then gestured for me to join them. "Get in here kiddo."

I rushed to his side and he put his other arm around me. "When did my little girls grow up?"

"When you started getting old." Aunt Judith spoke as she patted his stomach.

"Soon Soph will be graduating." He added.

"About that." Aunt Judith started. "Maybe you could move in with me after you graduate and give your old man and Helen some space."

My eyes widened. "Really? That'd be-that would be awesome Aunt Judith."

I would never think of leaving my father.
Honestly the thought has always scared me. Even leaving him for a weekend would result in him overindulging in beer and junk food. But now that he had Helen, who I know for a fact can cook healthy and nutritious meals, I wouldn't have to worry.

"Hey! You can't take my little girl from me!"
My dad whined. "Besides who's to say I'll still be with Helen by next year?"

"Dad, you're obviously head over heels for her. And remember, I already applied to the University of California."

"Yeah but you also applied to lots of Universities closer to home." He muttered. "I just can't stand the thought of watching you leave, kiddo. Promise me you won't make any decisions about leaving right now."
I knew that he was trying to make light of the situation but I saw the sadness in his eyes.

I gave him a side hug. "I promise dad."

"I'm already getting emotional and I haven't even driven away yet." Aunt Judith let out a small laugh though there was a small tear that escaped her eyes.

"Then I guess we better get you to your car." My dad spoke as he led both of us out the house.

At first I was too caught up in the emotions of the moment to notice and then I saw it.
Wrapped in a bow parked right in front of Aunt Judith's Lamborghini.

My Volkswagen Beetle A5!

I looked at my dad and Aunt Judith with wide eyes.

"No way! You guys got it fixed already?" I exclaimed as I rushed to it.

With all the damage I had done to the poor thing, I was so sure that I wouldn't be getting it back anytime soon. But here it was looking brand new. I ran my hand along the smooth baby blue hood.

"I called in a few favours and hurried it up a little." Aunt Judith shrugged

I squealed and jumped into her arms.

"This hardly seems fair, I'm the one who's supposed to be getting you a going away gift."

When I pulled away, she pinched my cheek.
"That beautiful smile is a good enough gift for me."

"You have no idea how grateful I am, Aunt J." I gushed.

"Just try not to wreck it this time." She teased.

"I promise, I'll take extra extra special care of it."

She smiled at me. My dad had just put her last bag in the back.

"Well I guess this is it, guys."

Her eyes shone with tears.

"One last hug for the road?" She asked.

Without hesitation, the three of us wrapped our arms around each other.
We stayed like that for a while just enjoying each other's presence. When we finally pulled away, even my dad had to wipe away a tear.

Aunt Judith got into her car and sat at the steering wheel.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much."

I was too emotional to talk so my dad did it.
"We're going to miss you too Jude."

Aunt Judith took in a deep breath and started the ignition. She gave us one last look.

"Phil?"

"Yeah?" My dad choked out.

Her next words came out in a rush.

"I've been dating a guy named Eugene for the past year and it's getting really serious. Okay bye!" With that she quickly stepped on the accelerator and zoomed away.

"What the hell did she just say?"

It took some time for my dad to process what she said and by the time he did, she was already on the main road.

In spite of myself I let out a laugh.

"Come on dad, I'll explain everything."