All Wrong

When I walked into Cory's house, I was already in a state of panic. My mind filled with worry, my palms were sweaty and I was shaking. I could hardly think straight and the loud music and the number of teenagers all over didn't exactly help me keep my thoughts in line.

My eyes scanned the room looking for James pale white face, the pale white face that would kill me tonight.

The thought of him being here around so many people I knew was nerve racking.

I just wanted to find him and get over with it but I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, he said it himself, he was a predator, he lived for the chase.

I was brought out of my thoughts when a cool hand touched my shoulder, I jumped and spun around causing the proprietor of the hand to jump too.

"Whoa! Calm down, it's just me." Dylan spoke.

I couldn't express how relieved I was to see him.

"You hand is so cold." was the first thing I managed to blurt out.

Dylan looked at his hand as if examining it. "I know right, Cory made me bring up the ice from the basement."

I nodded absent mindedly. My eyes were still wandering around the room as if expecting James to jump out from anywhere.

"So I see you showed up anyway, did your dad let you off the hook."

"Um... yeah...." I replied distantly.

"Are you okay?" Dylan asked. He placed a hand on my shoulder, I didn't even notice how tense I was until I let my shoulders relax.

"Yeah, of course." I replied in a tone that even I wouldn't believe.

Scepticism was written on Dylan's face.

"You know most normal people actually relax at parties." Dylan smirked.

My lip twitched as I tried to fight back a smile. I threw my hands up in the air. "Well I guess that means you've got me. You finally know my deep dark secret. I'm an alien."

Dylan chuckled. "Well come on alien, let's go get you a drink.

I mentally sighed in relief. At least I had managed to convince him that I was okay.

I let Dylan hold my hand and lead me into the lounge where a lot of people were hanging around.

I had been to Cory's house more than once and I knew that the most popular room was the lounge because it had an inbuilt bar. And that's where majority of the people in the room crowded.

Dylan turned to face me.

"Stay here." He told me. "I'll be right back."

I nodded I'm obedience as he walked away.

My guard immediately went up again as my eyes darted all around me. I couldn't shake off the feeling that James was closer than I thought, lingering in the shadows just waiting for that one moment when I would have my guard down to attack.

"Sophie!"

I turned around to see Monica walking towards me.

I didn't know how to feel about it.

The betrayal still burnt in me like it had just happened yesterday. I had been avoiding her for so long and I didn't think I was ready for a confrontation just yet. I wanted to turn around and flee but before I could do so, she was already in front of me.

"Hey." She spoke softly, her eyes were focused on the floor.

She couldn't even look at me.

"Hey." I responded in the same tone.