Her Pain

Emmett

"What the hell are we going to do?" I demanded as I paced back and forth in front of my family.

''Emmett, you need to calm down, you won't be able to think rationally in this state." Carlisle told me.

And he was right, I was clearly frustrated and I knew that they saw this but how did they expect me to feel?
Sophie was practically beating herself up right now and there was nothing I could do to help. I hated seeing her so emotionally disturbed, so broken. It reminded me of the day she had that mental breakdown after the Sierra girl had attacked her and I hated it.

She was so convinced that it was her fault but I knew that it was mine. I brought her into this world, my world. My family had warned me but I was so selfish. I was only thinking about myself and how I felt, I didn't even consider how it might reflect on her.

"Em." Edward whispered bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I say we attack." I spoke without missing a beat "He won't see us coming."

Bella let out a sigh. "This is a guy who has nothing to lose. We can't risk it."

Carlisle nodded. "Bella's right, the minute he sees us, Sophie's aunt is dead."

I shut my eyes and took in a deep breath. I was losing more and more control of the situation.
I have never been good at control and the little bit I had was slowly slipping away.

As usual my instincts turned to violence, when I was with Rosalie it was easy to solve my problems with bloodshed because I knew that she could handle it.
But now Sophie was involved. As much as I wanted to find James and rip off his head for doing this to Sophie, I knew that it would affect her.

I kept my eyes shut and let my ears pick up the little sounds in the house until I heard her. She was in Carlisle's office with Esme and Jasper. I could hear her heart beating a million times per minute, she was still freaking out but she didn't say anything.

I couldn't help but fear that. I would rather have her yelling and voicing her panic, at least then I would know what as going on in her mind.

Instead she kept her thoughts to herself and I could only imagine how much it was breaking her inside.

I wanted so much to go to her and just hold her and try to comfort her but I knew that my efforts were needed here trying to find a way to save her aunt.

Besides, I trusted Esme with her and Jasper's abilities would definitely be more useful to her right now.

"Even if we plan this in the most careful way, how can we garauntee that we can save her?"

Edward spoke bringing me back to the room.

"We won't." Alice whispered.

We all turned our attention to her as if just realising that she was in the room.

I suddenly felt stupid for not consulting her first.

"What?" I asked just processing what she had just said.

She took in a deep breath before speaking again. "I saw it the minute Sophie's phone rang and I still see it. They're only two ways in which this can go and Sophie's aunt dies in both scenarios. We can't save her."

That little flicker of hope instantly vanished and now I felt the full weight of it all. I had let Sophie down.

"Damn it." I yelled as I slid a vase off the table I was leaning on. I could feel myself shaking in fury.

I looked away from everyone not wanting to let them see my anguish.

I knew that they understood what I was going through. They didn't leave though. They stayed right there and waited patiently for me to cool down a little.

I kept my eyes on the clock that sat on the wall for at least thirty minutes until I couldn't look at it any longer.

We had ten more hours until James ultimatum and every second that past only made me feel  more hopeless.

"You have to tell her." I finally heard Alice speak.

I knew that she was right. Though giving Sophie false hope seemed like the easiest thing to do, I knew that she deserved to know the truth.

I didn't waste any more time, the more time I wasted the worse it would get.

I made my way over to the room she was in. Before I even got to the door, I saw Esme coming out.

I furrowed my brows at her when I looked behind her and didn't see Jasper nor her.

"Where is she?" I asked in concern.

Esme gave me a warm smile.

"She just needed to get some air."

I nodded not really feeling like talking, being with Sophie was my number one priority right now.

I turned around and came face to face with Jasper, again I furrowed my brows. I was under the impression that he would be with her. I knew that Jasper sensed my worry.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

And that's when I heard it, the sound of an engine roaring to life.
I didn't wait for anyone's reaction, I immediately sped out of the house.

She hadn't gotten too far and I easily sped to the front of the vehicle.
She didn't see me though, she made sure to keep all the lights off probably thinking it would make it more difficult to find her.

As the automobile, which happened to be my Jeep came closer I outstretched my hands and planted my feet into the ground.

The minute my hands came into contact with the surface, I used all my strength to push. The Jeep made a screeching sound before it finally came to a stop.

I immediately rushed to the driver's door. I almost broke it off just trying to get it open.
When it finally did, I saw her and my undead heart broke.

She had her forehead resting on the steering wheel and her hands covered her face as she sobbed.

"I can't let her die." she cried.

I looked around and saw that my family had followed the commotion.

I didn't know what to say and I didn't have to.
I climbed into the vehicle and lifted her onto my lap in the process. Her head rested on my chest and she continued crying silently.

"Sophie, I'm sorry." I whispered.

She looked up at me. "What?"

"We can't save your aunt."

Her eyes widened. "No." she whispered. She gripped my shirt and buried her head in my chest. "No, no no." she kept repeating.

I could feel her pain and again I felt useless because there was nothing I could do. I just sat there and stroked her hair as I let her cry.