The Letter

Emmett
"Why are you so happy?" Edward asked as he leaned on the door frame to the gym and stared at me.

"Is it a crime for me to smile now?" I asked as I did my last push up.

"I'm just saying, it's a little bit strange."

I shrugged before grabbing a towel and walking past Edward.
I sped to the living room where Alice and Bella were seated on the couch talking.

They both turned to stare at me when I walked in.

"What is the matter?" I asked them.

"You're smiling." Bella noted.

I tried to keep a straight face but failed miserably.

"Why does everyone think I never smile?" I yelled.

"Because you don't." Alice said. "Well.... I mean you haven't lately."

I knew that she meant since Rosalie left and to my surprise, I didn't get mad when she mentioned her. All that was on my mind was the human girl, Sophie.

I cannot count how many times she almost fell over or hit herself yesterday, all without trying. Honestly, how clumsy can a human be?

"Things change, Ali." I told her as I shook my head with a smile on my face as I remembered how Sophie almost fell in horse shit.

Jasper sped into the room. "Are you guys ready to...." He trailed off from his question and cocked his head to the side probably picking up on my attitude.

"Why so cheerful?" Jasper asked.

I simply shot a wink at him. "It's a beautiful day brother. Anyway, why don't we get a move on. Are you ladies coming?" I asked Bella and Alice.

"No, we already made our hunting trip earlier with Esme." Alice spoke.

I shrugged. Just as well, we're used to going hunting, just the three of us. Carlisle usually has his own schedule with Esme and the girls have their own too.

"Okay, see you later then." I spoke.

Edward placed a little kiss on Bellas lips as a form of a goodbye and Jasper and Alice displayed their weird shows of affection by just staring at each other. This would usually be the part when Rose and I would disgust them with a full on make out session.

All in good time, I thought to myself.

"Em." I heard Esme's soft voice call me. I turned around, she had a brown envelope in her hands.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Umm... Rosalie wrote to us. This arrived yesterday." She spoke.

The name caused my undead heart to beat faster in anticipation. I unconsciously found myself strolling towards Esme.

"How is she?" I asked.

Esme forced a weak smile. "She's doing well. She's in Paris and she simply adores the scenery. She said she enjoys all the little boutiques and the confectionery almost makes her wish she could eat human food again." There was sympathy in Esmes eyes as she told me this and I couldn't blame her, I was practically making her tell me how well Rosalie was doing without me.

"She hopes you're all well and she hopes, us, the girls can visit her and shop with her one of these days."

"That sounds lovely, I really hope we can." Alice spoke.

I wasn't Jasper but even I could sense the awkwardness in the room.

I swallowed before asking my next question.