Worry

Emmett

"Emmett we were so worried." Esme spoke as she sped towards me the minute I walked through the door to our house.

I raised a brow at everyone. They were all assembled in the living area with worried expressions on their faces.

"Why would you be worried about me?" I asked as I threw my car keys into the key bowl.

"Not about you, about the human girl." Jasper spoke.

"You didn't show up to school." Alice spoke up. "And she didn't either so we assumed..."

"That I killed her?" I asked in outrage. I couldn't say that my anger was completely towards my family, most of it was with me. I was mad at myself for what I said to Sophie. It genuinely hurt me to see her so sad.

"I had a vision Emmett." Alice sighed "Two actually."

"Let me guess, in the first one I kill her and in the second one I get her safely home. And you guys chose to believe the one that portrays me as a monster."

"Emmett ever since you met this girl, you've been so detached and distracted." Carlisle spoke.

"Or maybe I've been detached and distracted because I lost the love of my life!" I yelled.

"Stop using Rosalie as an excuse! This has nothing to do with her anymore and you know it!" Carlisle yelled.

I couldn't stand there and listen to this anymore. I turned around and sped out, propping myself up by some trees until I was up on the roof.

It didn't take long for Edward to catch up with me. He is the fastest in the family after all.

"Go away." I grumbled.

"Em, I know how you feel."

"You know nothing!" I yelled.

"Incase you forgot, falling in love with humans is kind of my expertise."

"I'm not in love with her."

Edward didn't say anything, he just walked towards me and sat besides me. "There's a difference between not being in love with her and knowing you can't be in love with her. Either way, they're both excruciatingly painful when the 'her' in question is human."

"I'll never love anyone who isn't Rosalie."

"Just because she was your first love, doesn't mean she'll be your last."

"You really don't get it Ed."

"Oh but I do. For vampires, forever is taken literally. Rosalie was your wife and you believed it was going to be that way forever."

"How would you feel if you lost Bella?" I asked him.

"My first instinct would probably be to hand myself over to the Volturi and end my life. But I couldn't possibly do that now, because of Bella, I have Renesme and I would never dream of leaving her. Likewise if it wasn't for Rosalie, you wouldn't have met us. And trust me we would never forgive you if you left us."

I let out a quiet laugh.

Edward stood up. "I don't know what you have with this girl or if it's going to last long but you have to see that something good is coming out of it."

Sophie

I had a book open in front of me but I couldn't remember a single word I had read. My mind was somewhere else.

I couldn't forget what Emmett told me about not really loving Ryan.

And I knew for a fact that that wasn't true. I did love Ryan so much. I don't know what earlier was about. Maybe I said something that triggered a bad memory.

I was brought out of my thoughts by a knock at the door. My dad was still at work and my Aunt Judith spoke about the lack of liquor in this house before disappearing.

I rushed down stairs and opened the door.

"Oh, hey Dylan." I didn't even bother hiding my shock as my eyes rested on my late boyfriend's friend.

He was wearing his uniform and by the looks of things, I could tell he was just from practice.

He scratched the back of his head and looked at the ground. Something he usually did when he was nervous.

"Hey. I didn't see you at school today so I thought I'd check up on you to see if you were alright."

I smiled in gratitude. "I'm A-okay." I spoke giving him the thumbs up for assertion.

I stumbled back a bit feeling kind of dizzy. Okay that was weird. My clumsiness seems to be going to a whole new level.

He smirked.

"I see that." He mocked me.

I playfully punched him on the shoulder.

He chuckled. "Ouch, that really hurt, Sophie. When did you start packing."

His statement caused my face to drop. He also noticed how much weight I was gaining?

"Did I say something wrong?" He asked in worry.

I forced a smile. "No, of course not."

There was a brief awkward moment of silence before he spoke again. "The real reason I'm here actually is to apologise."

I raised my brows at him. "Apologise for what?"

"For letting Sierra turn me against you."

My mouth formed an 'o'.

"All those nasty rumours shes been spreading about you are completely out of line. I can't believe I actually believed them even for a second. You loved Ryan and I know there isn't anything you would do to hurt him. He was the one who cheated on you, you made the right choice to let him go. I know he was my friend but he's the idiot who got himself killed, you had nothing to do with it."

My heart beat a trillion times faster.

But it did.

That vampire, James, killed Ryan because he was after me.

Heavy guilt weighed down on me.

I leaned on the door for support as I felt my knees start to shake.

Dylan was still talking but all I saw were his moving lips, the blood pumping in my heart was too loud.

I killed Ryan.

I'm the reason he's dead.

I started to see dark spots and blinked trying to get rid of them but it only seemed to get worse.

"Sophie, what's wrong?" I heard Dylan panic.

I was slipping down the door but he caught me and held me up. He tried to shake me but my eyes were still dropping.

I don't know if I was hallucinating but I could've sworn I saw Emmett's Jeep pull up in my driveway.

Huh, he always seems to show up when I'm in trouble.

I heard his deep roar of a voice. "Sophie? What the hell did you do to her? Sophie!"

I heard Dylan try to explain as I was hefted in cooler harder arms. I couldn't hear the voices any more or see anyone's face.

Darkness engulfed me.