The Surprise guest

Emmett

I just sat in my Jeep for a while. I knew that my family had probably already heard my car when I arrived but I just wasn't ready to face them right now.

I couldn't believe I was stupid enough to fall for a human. A human! For goodness sake!

I had spent most of my vampire life always looking down on them. I had always found human girls insignificant and plain.

So why the hell did I let myself her blinded by this one? Why did I let myself become captivated by her?
What ever reason it was, it was gone now. I felt nothing for her.

That's not true and you know it. My subconscious mind told me.
Your heart aches to be with her, you crave her touch, her smile, her curious eyes...

But she doesn't want me!

She doesn't want to be with me which sucks because I definitely want to be with her.
She has this warmth that radiates to me when I'm near her. I just want to hold her close and never let go.

But she obviously didn't feel the same way.
I couldn't describe how I felt, an intense longing mixed with a deep anger.

I got out of the vehicle.

Damn emotions! How I wished vampires didn't have to have them.

I kicked the door to my Jeep causing another deep dent to appear.

Was this going to be my life? Was I always going to be the guy who always fell in love and yet always got left behind.
At least I was assured of one thing. My family would always be there for me.
I took in a deep breath. It was time to face them and I knew it.
I sped into the house listening for their voices. They were all gathered in the living room.
I was about to speed there when I heard it, the voice I would recognise anywhere.

I stopped abruptly.

No way. It couldn't be.

I shifted to walking at a human pace as I followed the voice in disbelief.

I arrived in the living room and walked past the door.

I didn't see her immediately because Carlisle and Esme were sitting in front of her, blocking her from my view.

But I knew it was her the minute I heard her sweet laugh. A rare thing it was too.
I used to joke around with her saying that I only heard her laugh once a year.

Bella and Edward were the only other two people in the room.
They looked up at me the minute I stepped it causing Carlisle and Esme to recognise my presence as well.

I didn't move past the threshold afraid that if I got too close, she would disappear.
Carlisle and Esme got up and moved away from her.

There it was. That beautiful face.

The face of the woman I loved, the face of my angel, the face of the woman I was supposed to spend eternity with.
She looked up at me, at first in shock then she gave me a small smile.

"Aren't you going to come and say hello?" She spoke in a teasing voice.

I gave her a smirk. "With all due respect, I think I'm safer over here."

Then she laughed that sweet laugh again causing the most intense nostalgia I have ever felt to take over me.

"I see you haven't changed one bit."

Oh but if only she knew.

I didn't have time to give her a response because at that moment I sensed Alice and Jasper's presence behind me.

I turned around and saw that Jasper had one arm around her waist and the other on her arm as if he were holding her up.

Alice had her eyes wide open and had that look on her face that she often got when she received a vision that unsettled her.

It was Jasper however who spoke.

"It's Sophie, she's going to James."