Confrontations and Explanations

Sophie

"Your room is so cute." Alice gushed as she moved around examining the various objects that sat on my dressing table. "It's so mundane." She spoke in amusement as she looked at my photographs.

I was seated cross legged on my bed and I stared at her incredulously. "How are you so calm right now?" I asked in wonder.

She turned around and gave me an angelic smile.

"Because I know Emmett and Jasper can take care of themselves." She spoke.

She set down a picture frame holding a photograph of me and Aunt Judith before joining me on the bed "Besides, if something bad was to happen, I would know." She shot me a wink.

I remembered what Emmett told me about her being able to see the future.

"How does that work exactly?" I asked her. "Can you control it?"

"The future can't be controlled. I get little bits and pieces from time to time, sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad, sometimes they're recurring, sometimes they change as soon as they come. Sometimes they're about people I know and sometimes they're about people I've never even met."

"Are you always able to change the bad ones?" I asked her.

She gave me a weak smile. "I try not to. Changing even one person's future could mean making someone else's ten times worse. Sometimes it's just better to let the bad things happen."

I couldn't help but think about this situation right now.

"So, did Ryan really have to die?" I asked.

She frowned. "I can't exactly talk to you about that right now, but I can assure you, Ryan's death is part of something much bigger. He didn't die in vain."

I looked down at my comforter, but what if he did? I should have been the one to die that night, not Ryan. And now Dylan is in trouble too and it's all my fault.

Alice placed her delicate hand on mine.

Alice suddenly gasped, I looked up to see her face which looked distraught.

"What's wrong?" I asked in worry.

She just shook her head and forced a smile.

"Nothing, they're here." She got off my bed and headed to the window and unlocked it just in time for Jasper to jump in followed by Emmett.

"Emmett!" I immediately shot up and ran to wrap my arms around him. I felt him tense up and it's then that I realised what I had done.

I awkwardly pulled away and focused on the ground. "I-I'm so glad you're okay. Both of you." I spoke not daring to look up into his eyes.

Alice moved to Jasper's side, for a moment they just stared into each others eyes before embracing each other.

I finally got the guts to look at Emmett and was horrified to find that his eyes were already on me.

I tucked my hair behind my ear. "Is Dylan okay?"

Emmett nodded. "Fortunately for us he was already drunk so he probably won't remember much in the morning, well nothing that makes sense anyways."

I sighed in relief, that's all I really needed to hear, that Dylan was alive and well.

"And James?" Alice asked. Her arms were still wrapped around Jasper as if scared to let go.
Jasper and Emmett shared a look before Jasper spoke.

"He got away."

"What?" I exclaimed. "That means Dylan still isn't safe. I should go and-"

Emmett grabbed my arm to stop me as I reached out to my desk to pick Aunt Judith's car keys