Chapter Twenty-Seven

TIA'S POV:

I wake up, and find myself in Hunter's arms. His mouth is slightly open, and he's snoring lightly. I watch him for a while, not really caring what the time was. Judging by the amount of light streaming through the window, though, it was about five am. My bones were aching, and my back felt like it had been stabbed several times over. Hunter muttered something, before going silent again. I look at him. Does everyone look less worn out, younger when they sleep? I begin to play with his crucifix again, the necklace now older than ever.

Hunter slowly opens his eyes. The second he notices me staring at him, he pulls me closer and kisses me.

"Good morning to you too," I say, after about a minute of this.

"My beautiful Tia," he murmurs. "Hello, Addy," he says, putting a hand on my stomach. "How are both of Daddy's girls?"

"Addy's a pain in the neck. Or Chase, I should say."

"Back hurting again?" he asks sympathetically.

"Only five months to go, right?" I say, hoping I was right. Hunter counts on his fingers, before nodding and smiling. I sigh, and he rubs my back gently.

"Better?"

"Nope," I sigh. "But thanks anyway."

He laughs a little, before kissing me again, softly. "You're so wonderful. And beautiful, and smart, and funny, and- are you blushing?" he asks, suddenly laughing in the middle of his little speech.

"No," I say, ducking my head, but he's quick to make me face him again. I'm betting that my cheeks were bright red.

"Oh, baby," he says, still laughing. "You're so cute."

I sigh, not bothering to argue. "You're crazy. But thank you."

"I'm not crazy. I love you. No one is perfect until someone's in love with them."

"So I'm perfect now?"

"Just as much as I am."

I laugh and shove him playfully. "Who said I loved you?"

"You don't have to say it," he says. "I know it from the way you talk to me."

I frown. "Huh?"

"The way you say my name. Here, I'll show you." He thinks for a moment. "Say 'John'."

"John."

"Say 'Alan'.

"Alan."

"Now," he says, and points to himself.

"Hunter."

"See?" he asks. "You say my name differently. Almost softer, if you will. That's how I know that you love me."

"Hunter," I say, trying to hear anything different in how I say it. Sure enough, I say his name in a sort of reverent way.

"That's my girl," he says.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a little while. I play with his crucifix, while he strokes my hair, humming in content.

"Can I ask you something?" he asks.

"You already did," I point out. "But you can ask again."

He laughs. "Okay. Well, when you were pregnant at the start, you were stressed and angry all the time. What changed?"

I look at him. "Was I that bad?"

"Well, if you'll remember, you fell asleep on the couch at seven once..."