My favorite color is...

Chapter 7

Kane's P.O.V:

I think Ella was too shocked to fight me. She was slumped in my arms but I had no trouble carrying her. She weight almost nothing! She was shaking with cold I could not feel and I hated it. I hated the fact that she was this cold and I couldn't do anything.

I held her tighter against me, trying to keep her warm. I walked through the hallways and glared at any teacher who stared to long from behind the safety of their desks. Ella shifted slightly and subconsciously hid her face in my shirt. I felt her eyes closing against my chest.

"Everyone's staring," she muttered into my chest. Her voice sent warm puffs of air into my chest.

"Don't worry about them," I told her lightly and made sure nobody stared at us. I hoisted her higher so she wouldn't see any people who dared to stare even after my warning glares. Instinctively her hands tightened around my neck. I walked faster and out of the corner of my eye I saw her glancing at me every now and then. She frowned suddenly.

"Where are we going?" she whispered softly to me. Didn't she know?

"The nurses office," I told her matter-of-factly. Her whole body stiffened and I glanced down at her in confusion. Her face was blank but her eyes were filled with fear. Her voice shook as she forced the sentence from her lips.

"I'm fine, please put me down." I'm surprised by her reaction and remembered how she reacted this morning after I saw her bruises. She must be scared someone else will see the scars on her arms. I didn't want to push her but I wanted to make sure she was okay.

"You're not fine and I'm not putting you down," I tell her decisively. Her eyes were shining with unshed tears.

"Put me down, Kane. Now!" she orders. A twinge of anger flash through me when she raised her voice but I pushed it down. She wasn't one of the people I could order around. I had to remember that.

"Not until you see the nurse," I tell her. She looked away from me and I saw angry tears in her eyes. I grimaced, but walked more determinedly towards the nurses' office.

She pulled her hands away from my neck in frustration. I'm surprised that I missed the feeling of her warm fingers on my neck. I shook the thought from my mind. It was a bit harder to carry her now, but I managed.

We finally reached the office and Ella was tight with tension. I subconsciously started to rub tiny circles on her back to try and calm her down.

This is getting dangerous - for both of us.

Still I knocked and hesitantly enter. The overpowering smell of hospital and cleaning supplies washed over me and I wrinkled y nose in disgust. The nurse eyed us carefully and smirked a little. Ella blushed a bright scarlet and I glared at the nurse. She only rolled her eyes at me and motioned for me to put Ella on the bed with the plastic covers. Ella's shoulders stiffened further and I held her tight for reassurance.

I lowered her onto the bed and the fear in her eyes made my heart skip a beat. It was painful to see her so frightened, but I had to make sure she was alright. The nurse asked her what happened. I look at Ella but her arms were rapped tight around herself as if she was trying to sink into the wall behind her.

"We were at gym class and she became very light-headed and hot," I told the nurse. She turns to me and grinned in a teasing way.

"You think so?" she asked with a wink. I realized a second too late what I said. I opened my mouth to correct myself but she shushed me. She grabbed a thermometer and walked over to Ella. Ella's eyes widened a million times. Ella looked like she was about to faint. The nurse must've picked up on her anxiety because she stopped her approach. She patted Ella's hand to comfort her but Ella froze completely. I clenched my teeth and Ella looked up at me. I hesitated before smiling reassuringly at her. For some reason my smile seemed to calm her slightly. I saw her shoulders relax a little as the nurse took her temperature.

The nurse's eyes widened in surprise and she motioned for me to leave as she ran to get some pills.

"Silly girl, you're burning up with fever. Tell your boyfriend he can leave," she scolded Ella.

"He's not my -"

"I'm not her -"

We started at the same time but the nurse's laugh cut us off. She shooed me with her hand and I clenched my hands into fists. I stubbornly refused to leave and planted my feet into the ground as physical evidence of my intent. Ella looked at me and nodded that it's okay for me to leave.

'I'm fine,' she mouthed to me.

I shook my head at her ridiculous statement which was obviously a lie. I turned to go before stopping and looking back at her. She refused to meet my gaze and continued looking down while hugging her knees.
"I'm not doing this to be a jerk," I tell her. Her brows furrowed with the double meaning behind my sentence. I knew she's still suspicious and I didn't blame her.

I turned to leave and just as I opened the door I heard a soft whisper.

"White..." Ella whispered and I turned around in shock to see her eyes still looking down. She raised her eyes and met my gaze with growing confidence.

"My favorite color is... white," she says and my eyes lit up with triumph. I nodded and left the room with the biggest smile in history. It wasn't much but it was a start.

I know a little more about her than I did before and like a drug she was tempting me to find out more.

I needed to uncover her secrets.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _