What has she done now.

Chapter 15

Kane's P.O.V:

After sorting out the little situation I rode home. My motorcycle roared to life underneath me and I sped down the streets. The sun was barely still peeking over the top of the mountains in the distance and darkness was starting to set in. The streetlights were dimly starting to light up.

When I stopped in front of our house I recognized the navy blue ford in the driveway and couldn't help the nervous shiver that rolled through me. My dad was great, a lot better than Ella's, but he had his moments. He worked for a very big Investigation firm in town and had to keep up being at home for me and Mother a lot so I suppose it has an effect on his temper.

I opened the door and slipped through the hallways towards the staircase, hoping he wouldn't hear me. I wasn't in the mood to deal with his expectation.

"Good to see you too, Kanneth." A voice barked from the living room. I froze and closed my eyes to regain my composure after pulling a face and swallowed the groan bubbling up in me. I turned around slowly and straightened my back before walking calmly to the living room. I stopped in the doorway and leaned against the wall.

"It's just Kane, dad." I corrected him. He didn't glance up from his newspaper. I waited for him to ask a question since that's the only reason he would have called me in here.

"You're late," he stated calmly. I resisted rolling my eyes and shrugged in reply.

"Why?"

"We had some trouble on our way home," I started. He lowered his newspaper slightly and I hastily added, "But we handled it." His newspaper was still lowered.

"Who?" he asked. Again in his short yet sharp manner that sounded a lot like an interrogation.

"It doesn't matter. We handled it," I insisted with just a small hint of anger in my tone. His eyes narrowed.

"Who?" he growled. It was an order this time.

"They're new, just settled on the western side of town," I spat out. My dad gave a sigh and returned to his newspaper.

"They've been more reckless lately," he muttered under his breath. I was probably not meant to hear but I couldn't help asking. Even though I knew I was pushing.

"What do you mean?" I asked carefully. He glanced up sharply perhaps seeing a glimpse of the same curiousness he had in his DNA.

"Sit down, Kanneth," he ordered. I stayed in the doorway for a few seconds just to annoy him before heading to a chair, curiosity getting the better of my pride. My dad and I usually got along fine, we didn't go out for ice cream or watch shows together, but we didn't have a problem with each other. Mother said we acted the way we did because we were both too strong willed. She was probably right.

"We are having trouble with that new gang. There's been a streak of murders the past three weeks. The victims were all young girls between fifteen and seventeen with dark hair and brown eyes, the higher ups suspects it might be them. Does that description match someone you know?" he asked. I nodded reluctantly and he rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"I thought that rang a bell. Doesn't that description match that girl you used to play with when you were in elementary school?" he asked, looking at me expectantly. Ah, his keen memory never seems to fail when I needed it to. I didn't do anything, not wanting to confirm or deny his suspicions. "I don't know why they want this girl, but I won't allow actions like that to continue on in this town. I'm trying my best to find this person or people, but progress is slow. If you have any connections with this girl I would appreciate it if you could get some information from her or perhaps ask her to come down to the office one afternoon. Perhaps she knows of someone with a grudge against her family?"

"I don't think she would be comfortable with that," I said immediately picturing her reaction as one of horror at the idea of being interrogated. "What will happen to the person doing all this once you've found them?" I asked, slightly interested, but mostly shocked. Ella was all I could think about at that moment. She matched the description perfectly, but her family has no connection with any of the gangs in the area or I would have read about it in Father's reports.

"Nothing you should concern yourself with." My gaze turns into a glare and his eyes lock on mine, a challenge clear in them. There is a clicking sound to our left and a cheerful voice hollered from the lobby.

"I'm back!" My mother walks into the living room and both our glares soften immediately. If there was one person who could calm the two of us it was my mother. I turned to her with a smile.

"Hello, mother." I said, kissing her on the cheek. She beamed back at me and gave me a hug. My father stood up from his chair and folded his newspaper so he could greet her properly. I murmured an excuse and race upstairs.

I opened my book bag and glanced at the homework my teachers gave me. Algebra II, History, Literature, Business. I rolled my eyes and closed my bookcase again. I couldn't head downstairs so I opened my window and crawled through. I shut it behind me and jumped the short distance from my window sill to the ground. I scrolled through my playlists and selected one I created a few days ago. I put in my earphones and headed down the street in a lazy stroll. I glanced at my watch, I had about two hours to kill before my parents would go to sleep. I raised the volume of the music and hummed along softly.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

A few hours later.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I growled in annoyance as my phone's ringtone blared into the dead of night, wincing at the loudness. I opened my eyes and groped blindly at my bedside table. The song continued until I jabbed the green answer button.

"What!" I growled angrily through the phone.

"Kane?" A high pitched and much panicked voice asked. I sit up straight on my bed, the story my father told me hauntingly fleeting through my mind.

"Ella?"

"Can you. . . come over?" she asked with a strange hesitation. I glanced at my alarm clock next to me and annoyance flashed across my face.

"It's past midnight, Ella." I responded with a slight growl.

"I know. . ." She trailed off and I sensed a but to her sentence.

"But?"

"I-Nothing, you're right. Never mind." She said uncertainly and suddenly I'm wide awake. I gripped the phone tight when my stomach twisted in fear. She wouldn't call in the middle of the night just to say 'hey'.

"What happened." I demanded.

"I need to go to the h-hospital." She mumbled softly. I heard her draw in a sharp breath of pain and I threw the covers of me. I grabbed a shirt and pulled it over my head with a racing heart. My heart was pounding in my chest, but I had no time to think about that right now.

"What happened?" I demanded again. I heard her hesitate before she responded.

"I'm fine, Kane. I just need to go to the hospital and I can't drive. I can't call Simon because. . ." She trailed off and I caught on. His own little secret.

"Hold on, I'll be right there." I reassured her and put down the phone. I pulled on a sweater and grabbed my keys before jumping out of the window again.

What has she done now?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _