Three Lives Saved

A/N:

Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Ellas P.O.V:

When I opened my eyes, I could have sworn it was the exact same hospital room as before. I blinked in confusion and felt a wave of relief was over me when I didnt feel angry stabbing in my head.

Kane was sitting next to the bed with an exhausted expression on his face and bags under his eyes. I smiled at him and couldnt resist making a joke.

"We have to stop meeting like this," I told him. I expected him to laugh or at least smile but his expression was one of remorse. I frowned at him was about to say something but he stood up.

"I'll go get the doctor," he said and disappeared into the hallway. Why was he so cold? Did I do something to make him angry? I tried to remember if I said something to hurt him but I couldn't think of anything. I slowly sat up and rested back on the white pillows.

Kane came back with the doctor in tow. He was a middle-aged man with greying hair and a funny little moustache that made me think of the history classes we had on Adolf Hitler. Just for clarification, I'm not comparing him to Hitler. He took a seat next to the bad and offered me a kind smile.

"Good morning, Miss Ellaina," he greeted me. I glanced at his name badge before smiling as well. He had a complicated surname so I didnt bother trying to pronounce it.

"Hello, doctor," I replied politely.

"I have some very bad news for you. Would you like your friend to leave?" he asked me. I looked up to Kane in confusion. He didn't meet my gaze and I frowned in surprise.

"No," I said with a quick shake of my head. He asked me if I was certain and I nodded firmly. Something was going on and I wanted to know what it was.

"You had a previous concussion and because of the trauma to your head you received a second one. Because they happened in such a short proximity to each other, your brain experienced a lot of internal trauma. We did a lot of brain scans while you were unconscious and they all indicated the same thing." He paused here and nervous thoughts were speeding through my head.

"I'm sorry, but you have Anterograde amnesia," he concluded. I stared at him as I tried to process the words but they didn't make sense. I shook my head slowly to get rid of the confusion.

"I'm sorry. I have what?" I asked him. He gave me a sympathetic look and glanced down at his clipboard as if he wanted to make sure I was the right patient.

"You have short-term memory loss. You will lose the ability to create new memories after your accident. However all memories proceeding the incident will remain intact." His tone was professionally polite and it made me want to scream. Of course, I didn't matter to him. I was one of the hundreds of patients he has to see today.

"There is no cure for amnesia. We will however give you supplements and medications to prevent possible seizures, strokes, and brain tumours." He looked up from his clipboard and offered me another one of his sympathetic smiles then glanced between Kane and me.

"My condolences, Miss Ellaina. I'll leave the two of you alone," he excused himself and disappeared back into the hallway he came from. I looked down at the blankets that covered me. I saw Kane shift his weight and walk over to the seat the doctor had occupied. He carefully sat down and took my hand in his own.

"Did I do something to make you angry?" I hesitantly asked him.

"What?" He sounded so confused. I looked up at him sharply and our eyes locked. He had a wrinkle at the corners of his eyes that betrayed his confusion.

"You're very distant from me and wouldn't meet my eyes. Did I do something wrong?" I asked him again. He shook his head slightly and brought my hand to his lips.

"Aren't you upset?" he asked in bewilderment. I heaved a mental sigh of relieve. He wasn't angry.

"Of course I am, but I'm alive aren't I? I've lived through worse. It's scary, yes, but it's just another obstacle. I've had to jump over enough of those to know I can face this one as well," I told him. My grip on his hand tightened and I saw him smile.

"You are an amazing person, Ella." I smiled as he pressed my hand to his lips. "And I love you."

"I love you too," I replied and yanked on his hand to bring him closer. His smile grew as he glanced down at my lips. I chuckled at his actions. "Kiss me, you big idiot."

"Excuse us," a cough interrupted us and I turned to shoot the person a glare. In the doorway stood two police officers in uniform. One man and one woman. I sighed but nodded at them to enter.

They each grabbed a chair and sat down next to the bed.

"What happened to everyone?" I asked them. I felt Kane try to pull his hand away from mine, but I grabbed it tightly. He squeezed back and sat on the bed next to me.

"Your mother will be unable to use her left arm for quite some time. She is going away for a very long time in a much more secure detainment institution for the kidnapping and attempted murder of four minors. She is currently undergoing trial. As soon as you are able we would like for you to-"

"I'll testify," I confirmed immediately. Any concern I had for her, burned out years ago. She was going away for life and I was going to do anything I can to help.

"Your sister, Harmony, is physically okay. She did however survive a horrifying event. Mr and Mrs Moalch had volunteered to foster her, but according to Kanneth, you would like to do this yourself? Is that correct, Miss Ellaina?" the man, Officer Harley, asked me. I nodded in confirmation and he scribbled something on his notepad.

"Your friend, Simon, is... I'm sorry, Miss Ellaine, but his condition is critical." His words brought immediate tears to my eyes and I lifted my hand to cover my mouth. "He was shot at very close range and the bullet entered his-"

"Stop, please," I interrupted. "I do not need the details. What about my father? Where is he?" Kane's hand tightened on mine again and I knew he was thinking the same as I was.

"He is asleep in a room a few doors down. We can-" I felt a little bad for interrupting him so much.

"Arrest him," I instructed them firmly. The expressions on their faces were indescribable. A mix of shock, disbelief, and confusion clouded their faces.

"O-on what charges?" Officer Harley stuttered in surprise. I forced a deep breath into my lungs and swung my legs from the bed.

"Help me stand, please," I asked Kane. He smiled at me encouragingly and allowed me to lean on him as I stood up from the bed. On weak legs. The officers gasped at my bruised body. I looked up at them defiantly and clenched my free hand into a fist.

"I have efficient evidence to convict him as a child abuser. He's been abusing me for seven years and I want him behind bars as soon as I can." Their eyes were wide. The woman was the first to react.

"Of course. We'll do all we can," she said with a glint of respect in her eyes.

"We'll some back again tomorrow, Miss Ellaina. If you'll excuse us." Officer Harley had a pitiful look in his eyes. I raised my head above it and watched them leave the room.

I sagged back onto the bed and Kane disappeared for a moment before returning with a nurse and a wheelchair. He helped me into it and pushed me down the hall.

We stopped in front of a room. Simon laid still on the bed, hardly moving, machines bleeping in the background. He almost disappeared beneath the life support.

"Oh, Simon..."